Chapter Eleven

Dearest Reader,

What a crush at yesterday's fete! All topped with fascinating developments of some of our notable peers. First and foremost, it is curious that the Queen was not in attendance! Our magnanimous Queen is rumored to be in the country with King George. They say the King has taken ill, more so than usual, and the Queen has deemed it fit to restore his spirits in their beloved estate in Weymouth. However, another royal seems to be taking advantage of their absence.

First, I must declare the appearance of Mister Albion Finch and Miss Philippa Finch ('nee Featherington') having returned from their honeymoon. The couple was seen delighting over cheese and dancing the night away. If you brie-lieve in love, you cheddar believe it has embodied this love match. We could all take a lesson or two in their love, lest we all die provolone.

A notable development is our royal bachelor, Prince Friedrich who has been left to his own devices after the Queen's departure. Having danced his way through most eligible young ladies, it has been noticed that he seemed to enjoy his waltz with Miss Diana Vincent, who stunned the bachelors of the ton with her charm and wit that was not usually seen. Perhaps this is due to her mother's watchful eye, the Dowager Lady Vincent who seemed to take it upon herself to chaperone her young daughter ensuring that her dance card is never empty. The Prince and Miss Vincent were all smiles and laughs. Could the Prince have finally found a Princess? Finally, letting go of lost love, in the Duchess of Hastings, or is this just a pleasant albeit beautiful distraction?

//

Diana shifted uncomfortably as she finished reading the latest Whistledown that was out. The plan is swiftly in motion. Diana damned and admired the all perceptive eye of the mysterious Lady Whistledown. 

"They are all staring, Miss." Tinsley whispered to her, they were standing outside Caldwell's book store awaiting her two friends for an afternoon outing. Diana wondered if she would regret this, as now people who seemed much more interested in her. The ton who were out must have read Whistledown already as they nodded in greeting or the season's debutantes glaring at her.

Now, Cressida Cowper now Cressida Allenspark, was now walking straight toward her with intention.

"Miss Vincent." she replied, an overwhelming amount of perfume permeating around them, Diana supposed she had gotten what she wanted out of her marriage, more money, and rank. 

"Miss Allenspark." Diana returned the greeting under Cressida's cool blue eyes. Diana never had any issue with Cressida however if she had been out in society last season her notorious husband-catching schemes would have affected their acquaintance forever as it had with many of her old friends. 

"How is Mr. Allenspark?" Diana asked, smiling politely. "Away," she replied dully as if he was a pest. 

Diana wasn't sure how to proceed and was relieved when Eloise and Penelope approached them.

"May I offer some advice." Cressida said slowly, surprising Diana. However, before she could speak, Penelope intervened.  

"Ah, Mrs. Allenspark," Penelope's voice was loud and a pitch higher to catch their attention. Eloise raised a brow at Diana as she joined them. Cressida's eyes narrowed at them, Diana felt her friends surround her weaving their arms through hers.

"Perhaps some other time, we can have a chat." Cressida sneered at them. 

"Could you not do it now?" Eloise asked innocently. Ignored, Cressida continued on her way with servants carrying a load of packages, drifting down the street. 

Diana was very curious as to what Cressida wanted to say, after her season last year, it seemed she would have nothing good or useful. 

"Cressida offering advice? This day is getting stranger by the minute." Penelope laughed as they went inside the book store.