Chapter Thirty Two

The dry desert air welcomed her as she stared out into the twilight of their room, its large windows presenting the city in its splendor. It had been nearly ten months of constant travel aboard and they finally reached Cairo. While the world was significantly different than what she read in books and she fell in love with it all. It helped as a placeholder, a distraction from what she truly wanted at the moment. Her deepest wish was to spend an afternoon or even an hour enjoying the sights, sounds, smells, and people of the various places she visited with Freddie.

She wrote almost every day in her diary as if she was writing to him, using it to fill the void that his absence left in her. Frustrated with the silence about what happened during the incident with Sir Elliot, she could only gather bits and pieces of the aftermath. However, much to her relief Sir Steffan was found and relatively unharmed with the exception of getting knocked out by Sir Elliot. 

She knew that when Sir Steffan came to it was presumed he told the Prince himself. The Prince did not marry the Fruelin and she experienced the power of the crown taking control of the situation hiding the truth from the ton and giving them a story that sounded perfectly reasonable as to why the engagement was broken. Penelope seemed to be the only one who shed some light on what had occurred. The Prince was no longer in England but back in Prussia where things seemed to be muddier. Penelope revealed Sir Elliot was also absent in England hinting he was driven out as Lady Whistledown took upon herself to exact revenge on his nefarious behavior, wisely leaving out her name but unfortunately exposing the Fruelin.  The conclusion not quite hitting its mark as Diana had hoped.

For additional distraction, Eloise Bridgerton had kept her entertained with her adventures of the summer and discovering female empowerment. Diana had wished she could speak to her about what had happened but wisely decided to wait until she saw her in person. The lack of information and Freddie's silence had frustrated her to no end, each day oscillating between giving up and waiting for hope. 

"Beautiful isn't it?" Dominic interrupted her thoughts as they both stared at the ancient pyramids beyond the city of Cairo. Diana stroked her long braid that rested over her shoulder, after all that happened and the adventures she had since she felt quite humbled and grateful for all that she learned and experienced including the pain.

"It has exceeded everything I read about." Diana sighed happily deciding she would paint it, with the colors of the twilight and stars that started to appear.

Dominic her dear brother was more alive on this trip and ensured her safety making them grow closer than ever. It did not go amiss that he frequently wrote to Sir Steffan finding several letters directed to him and sometimes including her in some passages.

"Sir Steffan is still doing well and is quite enchanted by your descriptions and pictures." Dominic smiled widely.

"Well, then surely he can join us and see it for himself." Diana exclaimed turning to him sensing his excitement. It was something she constantly kept suggesting but Dominic always met her with a knowing smile until now.

"Is that what you wish?" Dominic asked, his tone serious.

"Of course." Diana said amused. 

"Good because I am already here." a voice startled her Diana turned quickly finding Sir Steffan, his golden hair longer and a blond beard. The tall man beamed at them as she quickly rushed over happily, her English civility buried as she hugged him in welcome.

"Sir Steffan!" she exclaimed laughing. "I cannot believe you are here! Did you know!?"

Diana turned to her brother who grinned sheepishly. "I thought you could use a fun surprise."