Chapter Nineteen

Dearest Reader,

On this fine quiet Sunday, it has been alerted to me that the Queen has finally returned from her mysterious visit to the country. In true Queenly fashion, she has arrived with a new entourage of foreigners and dignitaries. One, in particular, has caught this ear, the Fraulein Collette Von Brandenburg the older sister to Elsbeth Von Brandenburg engaged to the illustrious Sir Elliot Walters, Baronet. Why on Earth should we care about this arrival? This very single young woman is rumored to be the future Princess for one of the Prussian Princes. It is no coincidence that she should arrive here in London at the height of the season? We shall have to wait and see, our young Ms. Vincent will have competition. The game of love and marriage is not without a bit of speculation and let us hope that hearts come out unscathed.

Lady Whistledown

*********

Diana had thought she was having a rather fantastic day until her mother burst into the room with the latest Lady Whistledown.

"Competition! There is no competition!" her mother tutted. Diana glanced up from her book feeling a headache already coming on. Her mother thrust the gossip sheet into her hands, which she quickly scanned.

"Please calm down, as she said, speculation!" Diana replied despite her assurances to her mother, she couldn't help but feel a bout of anxiety invade her senses. She had not forgotten what the Queen had said and now it was making perfect sense. Diana bit her lip, she was set to attend a gallery showing tomorrow and she decided then and there she would speak with Fredrich. It was clear that while things have progressed in a surprisingly wonderful way, it was also getting complicated. 

"Diana, my sweet." Lady Vincent grabbed her daughter's hand. "The games are over, if you have intentions to have a future with the Prince, you need to make your feelings known if you have not." Diana let her mother squeeze her hand and merely nodded. To her relief, her mother left her room and once she was out of earshot Tinsley approached her.

"Don't worry miss, I've seen how he treated you the other day, there is no one else." she smiled. Diana attempted to match her assurance but for the rest of the day, she couldn't find the courage.

*********

Diana looked at the clock, she had been ready to leave their home for almost 20 minutes ago and her family still insisted on being late for the gallery showing. The spectacle had invited all of the ton and therefore Prince Friedrich would likely be there. 

When their carriage pulled up to the entry, it felt as if the whole city had arrived. Diana walked through the crowded doors of the gallery with her brother leading the way. The walls were lined with portraits, landscapes, and curious things displaying paintings of various artists. All breathtaking in their own way capturing the attention of the crowd inside. Usually, Diana would be in raptures of an event like this, but today she could not focus on appreciating the efforts of talented artists. Diana tried her hardest to get distracted by trying to spot some of the paintings her brother had donated.

"Diana, my dear I trust you will behave yourself if I leave you for a bit?" her mother whispered looking over the group of matrons that gathered. Before Diana could respond, her mother broke away, "Ah Lady Cavendish!" 

Shaking her head, Diana took the opportunity to look around to see if she could spot the tall Prince among the ton with her brother leading her through the rooms. 

"I'm afraid, I do not see him sister, but rest assured when arrives I am sure he will find you." Darcy smiled at her. Diana returned the smile, Darcy was the brother that could figure out what was on her mind accurately.