Chapter Six

"Joseph at the docks said that weather will be coming in today," Tinsley exclaimed as she walked in first thing in the morning after the ball. The young maid ruffled through the dresses of her mistress's wardrobe her eye finding the desired target. Tinsley had only been Diana's maid for only two years, but felt blessed to find a family who did not have unreasonable demands of her time. Tinsley grinned as she presented to her two gowns of hardier material for her outing.

"You pick Tins and I shall go from there." Diana waved at her.

Tinsley walked up to the young mistress, seeing her dark hair tumbling over her shoulder bent over her writing desk.

Once again the young woman had been bent over her desk writing away, sketching, reading some story or over a map.

Tinsley peeked over her shoulder, as she suspected she found writing all over the papers and a map. "Miss were you up again all night!"

Diana froze and turned in her chair with a start, Tinsley stepped back finding Diana grinning almost manically.

"Tinsley, I have.....I can't even find the word.... insane news!" Diana threw her hands up her grin even wider.

"Did some handsome man propose with a map?" Tinsley supplied eying her. 

Diana squealed and jumped up. "Dominic is going on his Tour and I will get to join in him in some part of it!"

"Missus this is excellent news!" Diana grabbed her hands and jumped happily. "Isn't it Tins! And of course, I will offer for you to come if you'd like, I will not force you to go if you do not want."

"Of course I will go! This is an adventure that many women in either of our stations are offered." Tinsley felt her breath leave her. The dizzying thought of leaving England was exciting and when Diana spoke of places and cultures and worlds beyond even Tinsley, who had no desire before felt the itch that Diana wanted to scratch.

"We do have a problem, which is why I was up all night. I need to convince my mother to let me go. Dominic will leave before the next season and if I do this right, I will leave with him." Diana said.

Tinsley nodded, "Alright, I shall help in away I can."

"Excellent! When dear papa was alive he would also speak of his dealings and I have learned that the best ones are where everyone gets what they want. Mother will be more amiable if I discover what she would want most in the world." Diana paced in her room before pausing in front of her window that overlooked the courtyard.

Tinsley laughed, "That's simple enough, what she wants right now is for you to get married and settle down."

Diana grimaced, "I have thought of that, I was hoping to discover anything else she would want more than that."

"Diana." Tinsley only used her Christian name when she wanted to get a point across.

"That's is what your mother wants, that's all she ever talks these days, Mrs. Cross has said so."

Diana bit her lip, Mrs. Cross was her mother's maid since she was a young girl and they were just as close as friends.

Diana sighed dread filling her. "Tinsley, I change my mind. I want the bronze gown and make me look less like a debutante and more like....Mother."

Tinsley set to work immediately, "I will say, at this moment your mother is in good mood. She had heard about your dance with the Prince and Queen Charlotte's requesting an audience with you was a good thing."

"Oh! I must tell you all about that!" Diana said.

"Doing your hair in your mother's style will take me at least a good thirty minutes." Tinsley winked at her in the mirror.