Chapter Twenty

Diana glanced at the clock that stood directly behind him, the second hand moving excruciatingly slow. Sir Walter studied her face before finally speaking.

"I know we haven't had many moments to acquaint ourselves." he started slowly. 

"I suppose we both have to the blame for that." Diana replied, she had the distinct feeling of him attempting to lord over her a trait she couldn't stand and he offered it spades.  He continued to sneer down at her in disdain, if he wasn't so unpleasant, Diana imagined he could be handsome and charming. Instead by the minute he made himself the most disagreeable person she had ever met.

A quirk at the corner of his lip before he continued, "It is no secret that the Prince enjoys your company." 

Diana stiffened, she sensed she would not like where this conversation would go, while she did not know Sir Walter intimately his presence offered no comfort. Diana could not see why on Earth the Prince kept his company.

"However, as a small mercy, I would advise to...temper expectations." he said quietly turning more serious. 

"Expectations?" Diana spat, she could have never thought she could plunge deeper in offense.

"You are a sweet and beautiful girl who will not be short of suitors I am sure." he attempted to offer a sympathetic smile but it came out even crueler.

"And yet, you are warning me off." Diana hissed, she was tempted to cross her arms but last thing she wanted to draw attention to was her hostility. Sir Walter pursed his lips reigning in his annoyance.

"Look, I know I am not....a nice man." he said. "But hear me out."

Diana paused trying to make sense of the sincerity in his face at this moment. 

"The Prince...when he came to London he had never the intention to marry anyone here." he said.

"And yet, he has made his intentions very clear for the last two seasons." Diana said wondering if Cressida or even Daphne had this sort of attention from the court.

"That maybe, but I am sure with your conversations with Prince Freidrich you are aware of the rather delicate state of his familial..relationships." he said quietly, he looked around before continuing. "I am going to come out and say it, Miss Vincent because I can see you are impatient with me. " 

"I'll try and be less obvious." Diana couldn't help but say the tone earned her a smirk from him.

"You are quite surprising you know." he suddenly said. "I had excepted some cowering and maybe tears."

"Sorry to disappoint, but it's much more entertaining when I can be just as equally unpleasant." Diana said. 

"Oh I'm becoming aware, I can see why he is fascinated with you." Sir Walter said, the strange comment offered no flattering, instead Diana heartedly wished her one of her brothers was here to sock him.

"Well, out with it." Diana demanded. 

 "I wasn't privy to the details but he has had a falling out with his father and the family is at odds. He had been arranged to marry the Fraulein Colette Von Brandenburg." Sir Walter sneered with triumph.

Diana felt her breath be taken, the fears that were hidden but knew of their existence were brought out, so she gathered as much strength she could muster to mask any sort of emotion knowing this would give Sir Walter pleasure in her disappointment.

"From now on, he is focused on getting to know  Fraulein Von Brandenburg, she has been carefully selected to be Princess, the Queen of England, his family and the Prussian Crown all endorse this."