Chapter Thirty

The dawn peered into her room in greeting but Diana could do nothing but stare at the spot where he once stood.The clock still ticking it's steady pace in the silent house. Penelope had stayed with her the rest of the night until she let sleep claim her. Diana replayed last night over and over again in her head, piecing together everything that had happened now knowing what he had confessed to her.

"Diana?" Penelope asked. Diana turned to her, eyelids felt heavy from crying but she knew sleep was still far away.

"You didn't sleep." Penelope frowned observing her. 

"I cannot." Diana whispered.

"Will you...tell me what happened?" she asked.

Diana told her everything, save for their more intimate moments but presented a very real problem that itched to be solved. Fredrich's words rang through her; his wish for her not to interfere made her want to riot. 

"Pen, I can't let leave him to figure this out. I will not sit by while everyone tries to keep us apart." Diana felt her anger seep deeper into her bones the more she thought about it.

"I have to find a way." Diana moved toward the window, her thoughts collecting and sorting out the pieces that scattered in her head.

"Let me help you." Penelope approached her. "I...I can perhaps figure out some information."

"There is something I need to know, why the engagement was moved so quickly, he mentioned his father moved up the date of the marriage even." Diana blurted out, it had gnawed on her from the beginning when he mentioned it.

Penelope's brow quirked up in interest, "That I can help with. Leave it to me please Diana."

"How?" Diana asked.

A knowing smile grew on her friend's face, "Servants."

Diana cocked her head, "Servants...yes, I suppose they would hear everything...but I don't think our servants interact much with the royal ones..."

"Well..." Penelope shifted nervously. "I believe they all go to the same..tavern."

Diana turned to her friend peering at her most curiously, "How do you know this?"

Penelope bit her lip shifting her gaze away from her.

"What are you not telling me Pen?" Diana asked.

"Diana, we have been friends for a long time..." Penelope started taking a breath.

"Out with it Pen!" Diana exclaimed her nerves getting the best of her.

"I am Lady Whistledown."

Diana felt her throat dry as her jaw dropped in shock. Her sweet friend was the notorious Lady Whistledown! The infamous gossip writer who rarely showed mercy on her peers, embodied in Penelope Featherington, the beautiful kind soul that would die for those she loved.

"Well?" Penelope broke the silence between them.

"I don't know what to say Pen!" Diana exclaimed as her friend began to unfold to her in a new light. "I don't know if I should be upset or applaud you!" 

"Please, I know it's a shock and I suppose you will need time to process it, but let me use this to help you!" Penelope reached for her hands gripping them gently.

"I can find information, I can get it fast," she continued.

"How? The tavern would be very difficult for us to get to." Diana said.