Chapter Twenty Five

Dearest Reader,

                      It is finally time to address the largest elephant in the room these past few weeks. The most captivating match of the season, the pair that only seemed to have eyes for each other, are suddenly thrust into opposite sides of the ballroom. Instead of expecting a swoon-worthy courtship and dreamy engagement, the Prussian Prince Friedrich and London's very own Miss Diana Vincent seem to be civil strangers once again. As Lady Whistledown, I am to remain unbiased. However, I cannot hide my disappointment of being robbed of what could have been the most prodigious weddings of the season. It seems that Prince Friedrich has been swept away with a beautiful Fruelin from his home country. Perhaps, dear reader, he misses home more than he is willing to admit.

                  Miss Diana Vincent is also getting more attention from another suitor. One in particular has been seen dancing with her not once but twice in one course of the evening. The handsome Naval Officer, Sir Roger Steffan is by no means to be ignored. Fresh off the boat, newly knighted, and a Captain to boot. He has amassed an impressive military career that could rival the Duke of Wellington. The sunkissed Captain looked rather dashing in his military uniform and it said his rise in rank nearly outpaced his rise in fortune. Will this be a comparable alternative for our Miss Diana Vincent, who seems to have borne what surely must be a great disappointment with the failed connection with a Prince? The grace seen by Miss Vincent is admirable but is that because she has the most pleasant distraction? Perhaps we will see Miss Vincent embark on a different kind of adventure with the Captain."

"I swear whoever Lady Whistledown is she must be following you." Damien looked up from the gossip sheet glancing at Diana currently absorbed in her book. "Also how does one get not get a harsh observation by Lady Whistledown?"

"That's what happens you are actually a polite person and not some animal flirting your way through the debutantes." Darcy eyed his brother earning a breakfast roll tossed his way.

"You are grown men!" their mother scolded them before turning to Diana. "Well my dear? Is it true? Are you having a 'pleasant distraction with Sir Steffan?"

The chatter around the table quieted, even the twins turned to hear Diana's response who hasn't found any words at present.

"He is quite a distraction mother and he is entertaining." Diana replied not even sparing to look beyond her book.

"Diana...don't be coy truly, should I be looking at him closely?" her mother pushed the book down.

"Why are you asking?" Diana frowned.

"Because he wishes to call today my dear." her mother responded.

Diana pursed her lips before responding, "Yes, allow him."

Dominic raised a brow at her, Diana still could not discern how Sir Steffan was getting any benefit from pretending to court her other than encouraging prospects of a great match. It felt to her there is much more at stake for him.

Diana settled in the sun that poured from the window of her parlor. It had helped to continuously plan and read up on the continent and had questions for Sir Steffan himself on his advice. Biscuits, tea, and cakes were prepared for his arrival. Her mother and the twins settled at the far end of the parlor as Sir Steffan was announced.

The Captain walked in with a beautiful bouquet of an assortment of flowers and handed them to her mother the twins and herself. "Thank you for allowing me into your lovely home." he grinned at them earning happy sighs from the younger Vincents. 

"It is a pleasure to have you here, please have a seat." her mother said as Diana settled away from the window and onto the settee.

Once her mother was out of the way and less in earshot Diana smiled up at Sir Steffan. "Do you find this awkward at all?"