Chapter Five

The thing about nerves is that always precede the moment of importance. When that moment occurs at a surprise it always feels even worse. Diana approached Queen Charlotte who sat like a renaissance painting in the brightest corner of the room surrounded by her favorite people of the court. Diana looked to her friends who were watching closely, they could do nothing as she approached the domineering royal. Diana dipped low before the Queen, noticing her dark eyes that were aged with the experience of a savage world of royal life. The same eyes that did not waver from Diana's careful curtsey.

"To what do I owe the honor, your Grace?" Diana murmured, continuing to stare at the floor. "Please stand." the Queen commanded.

Diana could feel the people close to them pause whatever amusement to be had to watch the interaction instead.

"You are the eldest Vincent," Queen Charlotte stated.

"Yes, your Grace." Diana was forced to level her gaze at her, summoning her will to face her rather than shrinking away as fast as possible.

"Come sit." the Queen offered a chair next to her that was immediately vacated by a woman of her circle.

Diana sat daring to glance around the room, hoping that rescue was beginning to be in effect from her three brothers. Instead, they stood far away watching from a distance.

"Tell me, are you a smart girl?" the Queen leaned in asking a low voice. Diana caught off guard by the question looked at her in surprise.

"I should think so, but what kind of intelligence do you refer to?" Diana asked attempting to hide her nerves with charm. The Queen glanced at her nephew who danced with a pretty young lady, his polite attentions seem to focus on his demure partner until he stole a glance their way, peering curiously at both of them.

"Don't be impertinent, " the Queen scolded with a smile. "I want you to save yourself from heartbreak and effort."

Diana snapped her hear do toward her,  "I...Please, your Grace let us save us both some time and tell me what you refer to."

The Queen pursed her lips, eyes turning into slits, "You are a bold girl."

Diana didn't reply but instead awaited her response, fearing her next words would be influenced with less rationality.

The Queen opened her fan and looked back at her nephew, her hardness softened. "My nephew is in search of a wife and after a humiliating season last year. I have decided to take measures it doesn't happen again."

"I can't see what this has to do with me, I assure you we have nothing between us." Diana replied, her thoughts now running wild.

"Is that so?" the Queen glanced at one of her ladies in waiting who stood close to her, who raised an amused brow.

"If that is the case assure me this, you will not interfere with plans that are in motion for a bride." Queen Charlotte said.

Diana shook her head now understanding, "You have a bride in mind already?"

"You are a smart girl," the Queen laughed. "Understand you can accept his flirtations as he is well known for it at his home, it could be of advantage for your prospects but know he will not be able to marry you." the Queen frowned. Diana's face flared in embarrassment and then anger.

"You may go, now that we have an understanding." The Queen waved her hand and at that Diana was dismissed. Diana forced a bow not caring if it wasn't perfect, deciding to get out as quickly as possible before she could see her anger. 

Diana walked back toward the refreshment table hoping to find another glass of wine.

"What on Earth did the Queen want." her brothers, Eloise and Penelope flocked around her. Diana glanced at them nervously, Eloise and Pen looked at her with worry. "Nothing, she was just wanting to compliment my dancing with the Prince."