Chapter Thirteen

Diana rode out into the sunshine, appreciating the warmth it offered on the chilly Spring day. "You know, if you wanted a better ride we could take a trip outside of town and you wouldn't have to manage on the side saddle." Dominic replied as he galloped next to her. 

Diana didn't listen, she had been preoccupied to keep an eye out for a fair-haired gentleman. It was about five minutes until noon and the gentleman was not in sight. Instead, she found other people scattered lazily around the Park.

"Are you looking for someone?" Dominic peered at his sister.

"Dominic, have you given much thought to the suggestions on the trip?" Diana asked ignoring his question.

"Yes of course and Italy will have good weather by then." Dominic nodded at acquaintances that passed by, again none of them being the prince.

"What about being in Spain- Pamplona for the Festival of San Fermin in the Summer?" Diana asked.

"Most certainly! I advise dear sister we probably shouldn't mention that to our mother." Dominic grinned. "Dissolute behavior and excessive drinking and all."

"Which is why I will be with the best brother." Diana laughed.

"And brothers are the best protectors I hope." A familiar thick accent sounded behind them. The prince rode up in a beautiful black horse, looking very much a royal despite not donning any royal emblems or uniform again. Diana wondered if she will ever get rid of her infatuation for him. 

"Ah, your highness." Dominic nodded in surprise, the prince wasn't alone. With him was another gentleman that Diana had seen on occasion and a lady, a pretty petite thing with golden curls and green eyes.

The guests had surprised her, though it would have been highly suspicious for the prince to go off riding on his own she supposed.

"May we join you?" Prince Friedrich stopped in front of them, his gaze raking over her.

"Of course." Diana answered for her brother, glancing curiously at his guests.

"Please, let me make introductions, this is a good friend of mine, Fraulein Elsbeth Von Brandenburg, and her fiance, Sir Elliot Walters, Baronet." Prince Friedrich announced. "This is the Honourable Dominic Vincent and his sister Miss Diana Vincent."

Diana and Dominic exchanged curious glances. "I have heard so much about you." the young Fraulein observed her. There was a stiffness in her voice and directness that was surprising from such a lady who personified the very meaning of a delicate flower.

"Oh! Well, if they are good things, they are certainly true, if they are not....likely still true." Diana grinned, eliciting a laugh from the prince but Miss Von Brandenburg and Sir Walters still stared at her, not at all humored.

"Shall we ride on?" Sir Walters suggested moving ahead, the dullness in his voice made it all the more disconcerting with the Vincent siblings.

"Are you sure about this, they seem like a tough crowd, with the exception of your prince of course?" Dominic leaned over whispering.

"He is not my Prince but please do go over and humor them while I speak with him." Diana pleaded. 

Dominic made a sour face looking at the couple ahead of them who were continuing on their horses. 

"You're my favorite brother." Diana batted her eyes grinning. 

"You owe me a favor then." Dominic sighed, looking back at them with weariness.

Dominic trotted up to the couple leaving Diana to ride next to Prince Friedrich.

"I apologize." he nodded toward them. "I could not elicit a more engaging group, if I did then I fear we would not be left alone. Besides, Fraulein Von Brandenburg is a guest who arrived here a few days ago and her sister is a childhood friend from home. My aunt had decided that she would make an excellent match with Sir Walters and are now becoming acquainted."