Chapter Ten

The next dance was a waltz. Diana decided as she faced him, it was the best and worst dance to have with him. On one hand, it gave them an opportunity to discuss uninterrupted. On the other, it all felt much too intimate as it felt like he could see all her secrets. When the music started, his large hand which mysteriously did not have his white gloves, enveloped hers. Diana straightened her spine as they began to dance, reminding herself of the deal that needed to be made. 

"Lionesses of London?" Prince Friedrich inquired amused, Diana knew he was a good dancer but it was quite something else experiencing it first hand in his arms. 

"That is what they are known for." Diana replied. "You surely must have experienced it with Lady Danbury." 

"I have indeed and in front of my aunt no less who left me to be feasted on with her sharp words." he grinned. "But your mother, she is quite subtle and I can see a bit of her in you."

"Believe me, I'm not as subtle as her." Diana laughed. "But I must congratulate you, now you can heartily say you survived both my mother and Lady Danbury by charming your way out before they can unleash their wit." 

Prince Friedrich laughed as they danced through the room. Diana felt a strange sensation of being alone in the room despite the many other couples around them. The candlelights flickered lazily, everything around them glowing, and the music that wrapped around them fit perfectly like a dream. 

"I have never met such formidable creatures even at times of war." he said amused. "It gave me the sense that I was spared mercifully."

"Oh, don't worry they are biding their time." Diana quipped.

"I am up for the challenge now that I know I have quite the ally by my side. I think together we could withstand them, like the King and Queen of Razia." he smirked for a brief moment revealing mischievousness that layered below. Diana felt her heart stutter, the logical side to her reminding her it's just an infatuation and this must be his brand of flirting.

"Now, let's discuss this business." he said as he moved her about the room drawing her from her thoughts. "I thought of little else these past few days, you left me with quite a mystery."

"I apologize, but I wanted to make sure it was throughout well before I initiated it." Diana felt him draw her closer, as she lowered her voice briefly pausing to clear her throat. 

"You have a Lady Whistledown issue correct?" Diana murmured. "Where the ton believes you still in love with the Duchess of Hastings, effectively scaring off any worthwhile prospects leaving you only ones interested in your crown."

Prince Friedrich grimaced a brief moment before recovering. 

"I'm sorry." she exclaimed quickly, horrified. "See, I am not subtle at all!" 

"No no! Its not your fault, it's true and sometimes the truth needs to be said out loud." he gripped her hand gently in assurance letting her continue.

"Well, I have an issue as well." Diana revealed watching him carefully, "I am not quite ready to marry."

"No?" he asked curiously, Diana swore she saw disappointment for a brief moment. 

"I have quite a desire to see the world and what it has to offer before I'm settled down in the country somewhere surrounded by babies and callings cards." Diana sighed knowing she was sounding mad, it was a painful thought to her. While it would do for some women, her soul could not bear to be so subdued quite yet.

"So, I brokered a deal with my mother and much to my surprise. She will allow me to go with my brother Dominic on his tour for while. We will start on the continent and go wherever we might feel like." Diana smiled. "But I must have two proposals which I will thoroughly reject and then be on my way."