Chapter Eighteen

Diana looked out the window watching the sunrise beyond the buildings of the city. The hours before seemed all like a strange dream. One that made every fiber of her being burn and one that also quite terrified her. The kiss with the Prince opened a whole new world for her to explore but also threatened the old one. 

The kiss was something she would never forget and did not know it could ever be as wonderful and intoxicating all at once. Diana arrived at breakfast noting that one brother was missing the others glanced at her nervously as Lady Vincent rambled on about something in the paper. Diana began to wonder when she would see the Prince again a conversation that is going to be much overdue and what it would mean for their future.

"Diana did you sleep well? You look different." her mother replied. Diana nearly choked on her toast.

"Yes, I did get a great night's sleep." Diana said quickly praying her mother didn't see the flush blooming in her cheeks. Dominic eyed her curiously from across the table.

"Where is Damien? I thought he would be joining us for breakfast." her mother said glancing at the empty seat.

"He went for a morning ride." the remaining two said in unison.

"Or he is recovering in his bed." Lady Vincent glared at the two men who did not dare face her. Much to her relief, her mother left her alone as she interrogated her brothers at their doings last night. The conversation ended up going nowhere as Diana suspected each other had rehearsed their story in detail but still failed to convince their mother their version of events. 

With time heading into midmorning, their mother soon left the table taking the twins to an appointment and Darcy decided to "work" in office by taking a recovery nap leaving Diana with Dominic.

"What happened last night?" Dominic asked as soon as everyone was out of earshot. 

"What do you mean?" Diana glared taking a sip of her coffee.

"You were blushing earlier." he accused.

"Nothing!" Diana growled. 

"Something happened between you and the Prince." he crossed his arms.

"No!" Diana not daring to meet his stare.

"I know when you are lying but just know I don't particularly care except that you have ingrained yourself even further when you both don't have any intentions of pursuing the natural course of things!" he declared.

"Don't you dare think I have forgotten, we will figure it out!" Diana hissed.

"So something did happen." Dominic said triumphantly.

"I am sorting it out, we will speak and see where the conversation will go." Diana said reining in any calm she had left.

"I hope you do, after speaking with him last night, I do not believe this will end well for either of you." Dominic said softly.

"What do you mean?" Diana glanced up searching his face.

"Like you said, speak and see where the conversation will go, but guard your heart Diana, a pact with a Prince come with many strings." Dominic sighed leaving her alone in the room.

Diana returned to her room in a sour mood finding Tinsley awaiting her pacing a trail into her floor.

"What is it?" Diana asked confused. 

"A note." she squealed grabbing her hands. 

Diana grabbed the small paper quickly unwrapping it, finding in neat handwriting a time and location in the park today. Diana felt her heart hammer her mouth going dry. "I suppose I'll need my walking gown, the cream one Tins."