Chapter Thirty One

A/N - TRIGGER WARNING! BASTARD BEHAVIOR OF ATTEMPTED ASSAULT!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir Steffan hopped on his horse the next morning, the clouds above them rolling, promising rain. The air was heavy and birds that were lively retreated into the forest for the impending weather. Giving her one last hopeful look he set off toward the palace. 

Penelope gripped her arm, "He will get it to him."

"What do you think will happen next?" Diana asked as they walked slowly back to the house.

"I am not quite sure, the Prince will surely devise a plan now that we have essentially given him an out." Penelope smiled.

"What if...it isn't enough? What if he is still forced to go through with it?" Diana asked hating that doubt was creeping into her.

"Have faith Diana, if you both truly want to be together it's going to take a lot of fight and faith." Penelope patted her arm.

The fight in her once alive and strong began to dim as the day progressed. No sign or note from Sir Steffan and by the time dinner came about he still had not returned.

"Perhaps he is caught up in a meeting my dear, it's the way of men sometimes." Dominic said who had joined them. 

Penelope and Diana turned to each other exchanging knowing glances. "In the meantime, we will return home tomorrow you are strong now and I am sure Sir Steffan would like his home back." her mother said cheerfully. "Besides, I would like to take you to the modiste to get traveling gowns made."

When the evening rolled around, Diana decided to walk out into the garden. It had been raining much of the day, refreshing the air outside with the sweet scent of earth. The sun finally began peaking through the clouds giving the sky a spectacular colors of the sunset.

Diana had inquired his valet if he had heard of Sir Steffan returning, but was met with no useful information. Penelope wisely busied herself in her writing and promised to join her on the walk later. The air was cooler as she ventured away from the house and down the road that led edge of the property, it wasn't until she heard the sound of a horse approaching as she walked along the small stretch of road that the trees shaded. Diana hastily moved toward the sound, the figure that approached her was not of Sir Steffan. When the thundering of hooves got closer she realize it wasn't who she expected.

Sir Elliot had arrived. The gentleman's hawkish gaze zeroed in on her as he hopped off the horse.

"What luck, I suppose you weren't expecting me." he hissed, all sense of proprietary and genteelness he conveyed was replaced with a fury that Diana had never seen before.

"No." Diana said hating that she was letting him intimidate her.

"Where is Sir Steffan." she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

He did not reply but instead pulled something from his coat, her letter gripped tightly in his hand.

"I suppose you wanted him to deliver this." he sneered down at her. "Just happened upon him when arrived at the palace...quite a temper that one." 

"Step back sir or I will scream." Diana hissed feeling every nerve declaring her to run from the man. 

"Ah, so your courage has failed you now has it, besides you are far enough from the house, I think it will be difficult to get anyone." he laughed cruelly.