Chapter Nine

Mr. Browne was her worst partner of all, he started the dance by stepping on her feet, earning her a wince. Diana could not show her misery too much especially since her mother seemed to be enjoying this particular type of torture. Diana spun and let herself move into the familiar steps of the dance, it was a slower romantic dance that was anything but.

"Penny for your thoughts." The Prince's thick accent drained her out of her sadness. As she spun, she was face to face with him for a brief moment before returning back to Mr. Browne who yet again stepped on her toes.

Diana glanced at Prince Friedrich as he was dancing with Ms. Coredlia Kent, a beautiful young lady who gracefully and gleefully took his hand. Prince Friedrich stole another glance at her, suppressing an amused smile that couldn't hide his dimples. Diana bit her lip to keep from smiling, trying to focus on her partner, but it was in vain as she found him next to her again.

"Regretting some life decisions, it would seem," Diana muttered to him her hand in his as they spun around each other before moving back to their original spaces.

"You've been busy, well rather your toes I see." he grinned the next time he got close to her. 

Diana shot him a withering glare, it made him grin even wider.  Diana never realized she could enjoy dancing with someone else's partner. She has all but given up on Mr. Browne, the man was just not as good at dancing or conversing. The dance joined in a circle and to her right was Prince Friedrich again. 

"I must claim the next dance, you have yet to tell me of this plan," he replied her quietly. Diana nodded, surely her mother would not object when the Prince himself wanted to claim a turn.

Diana suddenly wished for the dance to be over soon. Diana met her mother's look, this time it was wide-eyed and remarkably intrigued, glancing at the Prince. Thankfully for her and her toes, it was all over. 

"Lady Vincent, I must say I have never been so delighted to dance with such a beautiful creature as your daughter." Mr. Browne said as he returned her. Diana watched as her mother did not even spare a glance his way. "Thank you, Mr. Browne, it has been a pleasure." she said dismissively linking her arm through hers. "Excuse me."

Diana was relieved her mother led her away from him but not without catching a look of disappointment and confusion on his face.

Diana's mother was silent as they moved to a quieter corner of another room, where people conversed intimately without interruption.

"Diana."  Lady Vincent started slowly, watching her. "Are you and the Prince familiar with each other?"

Diana knew this was coming and she thankfully thought of it. "We are currently friends at this time mother." 

"Diana you enjoyed that dance with him rather than your own partner." Lady Vincent said. However, much to her surprise, Diana could see pure worry etched all over her face.

"He's amusing and easy to converse with, which isn't hard to do when you have to dance with Mr. Browne" Diana laughed. 

"Does he wish to court you?" her mother frowning, the seriousness on her face made Diana steel herself. 

Diana shook her head immediately, gathering the words, "He has not mentioned mother, I am sure he is exploring his options for a Princess and I doubt after some time that will be me." 

"Would it be so bad if it was you?" Lady Vincent eyed her as Diana pulled her fan to help with the sudden heat in the room. 

"Mother!" Diana scolded, cheeks redding.