5 • Naïve

Osiris POV

We had caught on to her scent trail soon after we had left Philip, my inner wolf growling with disgust as the image of him rough handling our mate flashed across our shared mind. Desmond was practically hopping in joy as we followed the sweet smell of honey to a house on the outskirts. My mouth salivated at the delectable aroma the closer we approached.

My absent minded body walked with purpose when the house came into view but I was rudely pulled away and behind rough brush. Desmond's concerned face moved in front of mine seemly tearing my trans to shreds. I didn't miss the hint of amusement still glistening in his eyes.

'Earth to Osiris, hello? Earth to-'

'Could you shut up! I am focused' I retorted at his childish remark swatting his hand away from my face.

'That was not focused Osiris.' He mused as if I didn't already know but I was to prideful to admit it. 'Happy you found her and all but you can't just waltz up there. The beta female is with her anyways.' He said pointing at the top floor window that showed the two girls talking.

Her sun ray hair seemed to glow in the evening sunset that basked the house in a warm glow. Watching her intently I focused my eyes closer on her ever detail from her lightly freckles checks, her petite frame compared to the beta female, and her innocent doe brown eyes. She didn't look much older than eighteen, which confused me more, she should have had a wolf by now.

"This pack hates me anyways why would they want me to stay. I'm sure once I get to the boarder they'll let me walk across it with applause. They've wanted me gone for years." My ears perked at the angelic voice.

A frown formed on my face hearing that Philip's pack was treating her poorly. It didn't come to surprise to me that he was handling her with little care, but I couldn't understand why. She was small, no threat to much of anything let alone a whole pack.

"Promise me you'll be careful." The beta said distress in her voice.

My other half let out a nerve chuckle as she replied. "I pro-" The beta grabbed her arm and I didn't miss the wince she showed at her hard grip. My fists balled at my sides at her discomfort.

"No, Seraphina I mean it. Even though you're leaving you're still my best friend. You're the sister I never had and I'd be torn if something happened to you."

She was leaving I had to wait to follow. If she didn't have a wolf like I presumed this far, then following her would be a walk in the park. She'd never see or smell us, we'd all just have to be silent as mice. Nothing we all couldn't handle.

The sudden sound of a door shut brought my attention back to the house. My wolf on high alert made quick work of following our mate with ease. Her long blonde waves draped over her beat up green back pack and her dark attire she definitely put work into putting together did little to hide her. Her blonde hair needed to be tucked away, it was a dead give away against the dark forest.

"You were right." Desmond whispered following my gaze. "She is leaving. Makes me wonder what kind of treatment she got from her pack."

I felt Desmond's eyes burrowing holes into the side of my face, I didn't have to look at him to know he felt revulsion. My wolf was aggravated with the sight of his mate rushing to escape a pack meant to be called and felt like family.