53 • Cousin

Seraphina POV

I almost didn't believe myself when I muttered the words but I knew it was what I wanted. With everything I once thought true and held dear to my heart had shattered and burned. I didn't have true friends, I didn't have a pack that cared for me, and I didn't have an alpha that honestly cared for my well being, or anyones matter of fact.

I knew now what it meant to be a true member of a pack that cared about each other like they were supposed to; like a big family.

Osiris was never the monster everyone had made him out to be. He was selfless. He was a protector. He was gentle when he needed to be and powerful when he had to be for his pack.

I think back to all the alphas at the annual mate gathering and I've come to realize that none of them were close to how noble Osiris was in comparison. There was a different sense of authority that came with their title. They were it like a badge that allowed them free reign over anyone and anything. Osiris wore the title only because everyone else placed in on him not because he strived to have it. It just happened one day.

I guess that's the difference between a genuine leader and one that strives to obtain every ounce of power there is to put fear in everyone around them. The wolves of Dark Titan didn't follow Philips orders because they looked up to him they did it out of pure fear; fear that I knew all too well and I tried to steer clear of him. I can't imagine what the guards and patrol units have to deal with.

Osiris didn't pressure me, however, after I accepted bearing his mark. We walked back to his cabin together a few words exchanged a long the way but it was nothing more than how are you feeling, and how are you doing.

"I'll be back. Stay here with Lucky, he'll keep you company. I have to do a few things I don't know when I'll be back."

I frowned as he spoke. I shouldn't have been surprised though, he was the one in charge. It was silly of me to assume he'd had all the time in the world, nonetheless I forced an understanding smile or what I hoped had come off as understanding.

He turned to leave a slight hesitation in his steps as he eyed me up and down. His Adam's apple bobbed nervous as he walked back up to me; his height dwarfed me instantly. I didn't put much thought into it when he quickly planted a kiss to my forehead.

He didn't leave any room or any time to say anything before muttering an "I promise to try and make this quick", and dashing into the nearby forest.

Osiris's sudden departure left me feeling icy cold. My mind abruptly filled with unrest. I blamed it on my victimized state. I felt more vulnerable than ever and as I rubbed my hands up and down my arms I closed the door.

"Tea?"

Lucky's voice made me jump. I offered a soft smile when looked genuinely sorry for the spook.

I shook my head. "No, thank you."

"How about some cookies?" I paused at his offering. "I have a killer recipe handed down to me from my grandmother. I guess you could say it's decades old." His smile was beaming from ear to ear.

Chuckling I nodded. "I guess so. What kind of cookies?" I inquisitively pondered.

"Snickerdoodle?"

It was like music to my ears. Snickerdoodle was my favorite.

"Let's do it."

We spend the next hour needing dough and talking about the most random of stuff. It was a nice change. Lucky mentioned his mate