39 • Close

Seraphina POV

Adrenaline pumped from my veins making every limb tingle. I didn't argue when Aspen ordered me to hide.

Her ears had started to grow fur and taller as her nails extended into claws. Her brown eyes shined brightly as she became protective. She was on edge and she could clearly see something I couldn't and with her feral posture it was a threat.

I tucked myself in amongst the weeds that grew under a fallen tree, the tall plants hid much of my body along with the shadows the hovered tree trunk offered. The wood was rotting away slowly but I could care less, it concealed me that's all that mattered.

Between my frantic pants, I stared out where Aspen once stood expecting her to still be there scouring the area for the threat, but she wasn't. Aspen was long gone most likely searching for whoever the intruder was.

My heart raced as the sound of snapping branched drew closer. My mouth suddenly dries up like the Sahara Desert.

With feverish hands, I softly rummaged through the messy forest floor for anything that could possibly be used as a weapon. I didn't get far into my search before I heard the sharp piercing howl.

I froze. My breath hitched in my throat as I sunk deeper into the shadows.

The sound of paw pads came closer and it instinctually held my breath as the figure of a dark brown wolf emerges from the trees. His snout was pointed high in the sky hoping to catch a whiff of whatever made it wander this far into Osiris's Territory.

As the brown wolf continued to take in the scents of the forest another, much more lighter and smaller, wolf trotted up beside it. The smaller wolf nudged the larger causing him to growl out a scold.

It lowered its ears to its head and took a step back. The larger of the too nodded his head in my direction and my eyes grew wide. Had they seen me? They probably smelt me, I pointed out to myself.

Where was Aspen? She had just left me here to hide as if wolves arent capable of sniffing out their prey. Wolves are notorious for smelling their prey miles away and running them down.

The wolves slowly walked in my direction and I froze. What else was I able to do? Sitting still and quiet was the only thing I could do to keep myself alive.

"This is not your land." I heard Aspen growl. The two wolves perked their ears up as their lips curled back. Before they turn to face her I could have sworn one of them noticed me but they had turned to face her already.

Aspen towered over the two wolves regardless of the fact that they were five foot or taller. She was truly the definition of an Amazonian as her golden hair swayed effortlessly in the crispy winter breeze. Her pale skin flowed under the sunlight not a single blemish in sight or redness from the harsh temperature.

The taller of the two wolves shifted before Aspen revealing a mountainous man. He dwarfed Aspen's hight with ease. His eyes were pure black with a rolling anger that could be felt from the shadows I hid in.

How Aspen held her head high and eyes cunningly sharp was beyond my comprehension. If I were standing before that monster of a man I would have disintegrated into the earth.

"This isn't your land either." He taunted taking a terrifying step closer to her.

Aspen snarled rearing her head back as the man raised his eyebrow unfazed. How could he? I wouldn't be surprised if nothing scared him.

"You're trespassing on our land." Aspen reminded him.

"I am? Says who? We all know the council doesn't see you group of misfits as a pack. This is unclaimed land."