2 - The First Day

"So, do you mind if I call you Hiro?" Sora asked.

'Wow, he's very friendly.' Hiro thought as they walked to lunch. Sora was in multiple of his classes, and Sora had quickly warmed up to him.

"Can I call you Sora then?" Hiro replied, not expecting Sora to accept.

"Of course!" Sora grinned.

'Huh...' Hiro thought to himself. 'Well, it's fine with me, I guess.'

"Alright." Hiro nodded.

As the two walked through the hallways to the cafeteria, he noticed the eyes of multiple students on him. "What's with them?" He asked Sora. "Are new students that rare?"

"No, it's not that." Sora shook his head. "It's that you came in with Sumiko, which is super awesome by the way."

'Her?' Hiro thought to himself. "Wait...but why is that making people look at me?"

"You don't know?" Sora asked, slightly surprised as he looked at his new friend.

"No...I don't." Hiro slowly replied.

"Well...they're what we call the 'Idols' of the school." Sora stated.

"So like...the popular girls?" Hiro guessed.

"Yep." Sora nodded. "They're the best of everybody here, revered by everyone. They're practically goddesses here."

"...you're kidding me." Hiro gaped.

"Nope. They're all geniuses, and are treated like the most important people in the world." Sora shrugged. "Can't blame us, they are pretty cool."

"I don't get it." Hiro sighed. "What's the point of worshipping someone in high school? You'll probably never see them again after, and who knows what they'll become. Doubt it'll be the most important person ever..."

"Haha!" Sora laughed, slapping Hiro on the back. "I love that! But don't say that around some of our more fanatic classmates. They'll throw a fit."

"I really don't get it..." Hiro sighed once more. "Do you worship them?"

"I wouldn't say worship them..." Sora replied. "But I definitely do admire them. No normal person would become worthy of the title 'Idol', you know?"

"Fair point." Hiro nodded.

While the two headed to the cafeteria, they didn't notice the person following them. As she walked across the hallway, everybody stopped to gaze at her before following behind her.

Akari walked a short distance behind them, where it seemed she wasn't following them but happened to be heading the same direction.

'Who is he and why is he so close to my man?' Akari inwardly growled, white outwardly smiling and waving to the people she passed.

If everybody else wasn't here, she would be staring daggers into his back. Unfortunately she had an image to uphold, which meant for now she wouldn't be able to eat with her love.

'I need to find a way to separate those two in the future so I can eat with Hiro...' Akari thought. 'But before that, I need to find a nice little spot...it'd be annoying if everybody watched us and became jealous.'

Hiro and Sora entered the cafeteria, getting in line for their food. After getting it and paying for it, they sat down at a table, alone.

Akari sat down at her own table, secretly glaring at them with envy while multiple of her friends sat around her.

"Don't you have other friends?" Hiro asked. "I'd feel bad if I kept you from eating with them."

"I'm close with the baseball team since I'm one of them." Sora stated. "And I eat with them every once in a while."