Perfect

I wake up with my cheek nestled against David’s bare chest and his arm hung loosely around my shoulder.

“Gah!” I shout as I spring out of the bed and retreat to the farthest corner of my room, “You’re in my bed!”

David chuckles, awoken by my sudden outburst, and rubs the remaining sleep out of his eyes. “That I am.”

“But wh-.” Then suddenly it comes rushing back. I internally groan as I recall myself breaking down to David last night. I cried my eyes out to the dude like some wimp. Perfect. “Wait, we didn’t… you know?”

David raises his eyebrows and bites his lip suggestively. I feel my stomach churn. “Oh no,” I cry, “Please tell me we didn’t… tell my your kidding right this instant.”

“Chill Dante we didn’t do anything- not that your reaction to the idea wasn’t flattering or anything,” he grumbles as I manage an apologetic shrug, “You just had a nervous breakdown five years in the making, that’s all.”

“Then why are you shirtless?”

David grins, “Because I never sleep with a shirt on… you snore in your sleep by the way.”

“Oh shut up and put some clothes on will you?” I say as I toss him his grey hoodie from the floor. He reluctantly shrugs it on. “How’d watching the city go?”

“Awesome,” he says, “Only some minor crimes though, nothing from the countdown. Keith and Radley did everything I asked them to.”

Keith behaving, one could only wish. “Good, I knew I left the city in good hands. You know what I have to do today, right?”

“Not a clue.”

“It’s time I call the rest of the team.”

The rest of the afternoon consists of me looking through old phonebooks and calling my old team all while David watches from my bed.

I call Ricky first. He’s eager to talk to me and fills me in on how everything’s going. He and Jenna are really enjoying their time in Flora City. When I tell him about Vigor’s return he actually seems concerned, which makes me glad to know I’m not the only one who actually considers him a threat. Ricky promises to keep a watch out and to visit soon.

As soon as I hung up with Ricky I was left with a pit in my stomach. I wanted so badly to ask him to come back and help me out. I needed him and he would come. But I couldn’t do that to him or Jenna.

“Now comes the tricky part,” I say to David, “Alex.”

David stiffens at the sound of her name, his face flickers for only a moment.

“Uh, yah good luck,” he mumbles.

David and Alex used to date back when we were in high school, I always thought they were a good couple too. But then suddenly one day when we were all hanging out they got in this huge fight. There was yelling and stomping and I even think Alex sent a blizzard David’s wave and then they both stormed off. A few days later David came by and acted as if nothing happened. Alex on the other hand sent in her resignation by mail.

She just quit the team and moved away, we never got any explanation from her or from David. Trying to find her again was going to be a challenge.

I researched for a good two hours, looking up her name and making the calls. I pulled every string I had but it was something I needed to do. Alex and I started off rocky but we eventually became good friends. It hurt me that she left without saying goodbye. I tried finding her again but always came up short, but this time would be different.

Finally, I got a sound lead. I ended up with the voicemail for some organization in Russia. It wasn’t much but I left a message anyways and hoped for the best.

“Well that’s that,” I tell David as I finally hang up the phone. I should feel like a huge weight is off my chest but instead I feel more uneasy then ever.

“Perfect timing, I need to get going anyways. Duty calls, you know?” he says as he finally gets up.

He’s going to go do his “work.” Perfect.

“Don’t give me that look,” he sighs, “I know you don’t like my line of work but it pays good money and some crime actually does get cleaned up.”

“But where do you draw the line David? I’ve heard the rumors,” I say arms crossed. I don’t like how David’s been doing the freelance work. He was a glorified bounty hunter, doing any task for the right price. I know David wouldn’t do anything truly ‘villainous’ but he did used to be a bad guy, maybe the lines not so clear for him anymore.

 “I’m sorry Dante but it’s part of who I am now,” he shrugs, “I promise I’ll stay good- well kind of good- for your sake.”

I sigh. “Whatever David, just go do your thing.”

David hesitates for a moment before swinging out from my fire escape to go do who knows what.

It’s only noon so hopefully he won’t be doing anything too bad. The night is reserved for that kind of thing.

 As soon as he leaves Lexi walks into my room.

“Someone spent the night,” she grins, “You guys do it?”

I toss a pillow from my bed at her, “It’s not like that. He just slept over.”

“Honey guys like that don’t just ‘sleep’ with girls like you,” she says as she leans against my doorframe.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“It means you’re hot and he’s hot and the two of you should just get together already!”

“Not going to happen Lexi,” I mumble.

“Mm-hmmm, well we’ll see,” she says smugly as she walks always, “But I’m never wrong about these sort of things.”

Ugh. Perfect. 

...

...

...

Author's Note: Sorry it's so short but things are about to get good soon. Comment and vote please!!!