44.

"Hey Scarlett!"

"Hey Scarlett!"

I turn around and smile, seeing Dylan running to catch up with me. Everything is back to normal, like it was before he had Dallas. I don't know how to feel about that.

"Hey Dyl! What did you do last weekend?" I ask. He shrugs, looking away. "Nothing much. Listen, don't tell Dallas but—" "Don't tell me what?"

My eyes widen and we turn around. Jesus, he really has a great feeling for timing. "Don't tell me what, Dylan?" Dallas asks again. Dylan shuts up. I frown, looking between them.

They both look horrible. Dallas' hair is messy, he has bags under his eyes and those clothes aren't very clean. Dylan has puffy eyes, messy clothing and he clearly has scratched the skin around his nails. 

"Nothing, Dallas," Dylan snaps. Dallas takes a snap back at the tone Dylan uses on his name. He looks at me, but I give him a wry smile. I don't know what's going on either.

"Come on, Scarlett. We're going," Dylan says without glancing at Dallas. He pulls me along and I see Dallas' shoulders slump. "That was not nice," I say to Dylan.

He gives me a shrug. "Deserves it," he mumbles. I sigh. It's only two weeks of school anymore, and this is not a good way to end it. "Let's forget about Dallas, yes? Did you already start studying for the finals?" I ask.

He rolls his eyes. "Duh! Mrs Wagers hates me, I gotta do good," he gives me a small smile. I chuckle. "I started yesterday."

I did. After Twilight, I studied for math and science. Owen helped me, and the others kept asking if I wasn't in pain or needed something. It's nice, but it gets annoying over time. They act like I'm dying when I'm on my period.

I get a message from Owen.

Owen<3: DID HE REALLY JUST LEAVE HER IN THE WOODS???

I giggle. He liked Twilight, so he's binge watching the others right now. He's in the office, but apparently he doesn't need to work. Or maybe it's break. From now on, he'll work there Monday and Tuesday, and the rest of the week at the shop.

Me: Yep

Owen<3: I hate him

Owen<3: I knew vampires sucked

Owen<3: I'm team Jacob now

My eyes widen. He did not just say that.

Me: U did not just say that

Owen<3: Oh I did

Owen<3: Srsly, Jacob is way better

Owen<3: But his hair... ew

Me: Are u aware your giving very bi vibes?

Owen<3: Hush

I smirk. Dylan chuckles and I look at him. He's reading the texts with me! "Dylan!" I exclaim. "Privacy?"

He chuckles. "Ah, come on. Besties share everything! But I don't want your boyfriends," he shivers. I cock an eyebrow. "What's wrong with my boyfriends?"

We sit down in class. He shrugs. "They're very creepy." They are not. "How? All they do is cuddling," I bring in. He rolls his eyes. "Yeah, with you. Remember when they all came here together? Man, if that wasn't intimidating. I don't think I've ever gotten so much glares at once."

Were they glaring at Dylan? Why?

"They like you," I shrug. He nods, "Sure." Before I can say something else, Dallas comes in and takes his seat behind us. Dylan shuts up and stares at his desk. 

This will be a very long day...

***

"Scarlett?" I hear Dallas say, hesitantly. 

I turn around in my chair. I'm sitting at my table, waiting for Dylan to join me. Dallas is standing with his tray of food behind me, eyeing me cautiously. "Can I maybe sit with you?" he softly asks. I nod, frowning.

"What's wrong, Dallas?" I ask when he sits down. He sighs. "I don't want to sit with the football guys. They all suck. I don't give a fuck about my reputation anymore, Scarlett. I just want Dylan. I can be friends with him, I promise. Even just friends is better than this," he sighs.

I see tears glinstering in his eyes. Poor Dallas. I rub his back, not sure what to say. Then, I hear a scoff behind me. "What's that doing at our table?" Dylan asks. Dallas freezes.

Dylan sits down across him, staring deadly in his eyes. Dallas gulps. "Well?" Dylan asks. "Look, Dylan, we can— we can be friends, right?" Dallas' soft voice is desperate.

Dylan laughs. "You're so stupid," he hiccups. "We can't be friends, Dallas. You'll only end up hurting me. Or Scarlett. So, no."

Dallas looks down again. "Dylan, I didn't mean to—" "Oh, I'm sure you didn't. But you did end up hurting me, hm? No matter if you meant to or not, you did."

My jaw drops. Since when is Dylan this mean? Dallas stands up, picks up his tray and leaves without another word. "Dylan!"

"What?" he sighs. "How can you do that? That poor guy wants to be friends!" I snap. I expect him to roll his eyes or shrug, but he starts to sob. I hug him.

"I can't be friends with him, Scarlett. I just can't. It's too painful," he cries. Oh. That's why he was so mean. To hold himself from breaking down.

"It's okay, Dyl. You don't have to be friends," I whisper. He sobs and nods. "Thank you. The other reason is that he might steal you away. You're my only friend, Scarlett," he cries. I frown and hug him tighter.

"You won't lose me. I love you," I smile. "I love you too," he whispers. He calms down and we start eating. Suddenly, an apple is thrown at Dylan's head.

My eyes narrow when I see the popular guys laughing. The popular guys, the football guys, where Dallas is seated now. "Aw! Where the frick did that come from?" Dylan frowns, rubbing is head. 

"Oh, I think I know," I grumble and stand up. I stalk to the table and it becomes dead silent. "Well? Who threw the apple?" 

They all point at Dallas and my eyes narrow even more. Dallas looks up from his tray and frowns at the others. "What? Why are we pointing at me? Oh, hi Scarlett," he says. He looks genuinely confused. "Dallas. What do you know about apples?" I ask.

He frowns. "Eh... green? Red?" Okay, it wasn't him. Jason is muffling his laugh and I flick his head. "Don't do it again, or I'll send my boyfriends at you," I threaten. He chuckles. "Those pussies? They don't even know how to have a girl for themselves."

Oh, how wrong he is. "We'll see about that," I sweetly smile and walk back to Dylan. He grins at me. "How did you know?"

I shrug. "Magical powers."