48.

"Dallas?"

"Dallas?"

I frown. Does she know him? They do go to the same school, but it's so big I doubted they'd know each other.

Dallas' smile drops and he curses. "Son of a bitch! You're fucking everywhere!" But he smiles again and pulls her in a hug. She giggles, "You're their cousin!"

"I am. And you're their girlfriend." She blushes and looks down. I frown even more and stand up. He may be my cousin, but if he makes Scarlett uncomfortable I'm kicking him out. 

He grimaces and nods at me. "Elijah." I nod at him, too. "Dallas. How's the school life?" I'm not good at small talk. Maybe that question wasn't a good one, because he flinches.

"Er... it could be better," he coughs and quickly walks past us. I frown at Scarlett. "What's wrong with him?" 

She grimaces too. Do I make everyone uncomfortable today or what?

"No, it's just not good at school. He just broke up with his boyfriend, who is my best friend, and he's suffering hard," she whispers.

My eyes widen. "He's gay?" Her eyes widen too and she stills. "What? No, no! I meant girlfriend!" She winces. 

Dallas is gay.

"Oh my God! He's gay!" I whisper. I knew it. I fucking knew it. I knew it the second I saw him looking at Owen two years ago.

I grin and walk to him, smug about myself. "Hey, my little gay cousin." He stiffens, turns around and glares at Scarlett, who comes to stand next to me. 

"Scar, little idiot," he sighs. She blushes and looks down. I frown. Did he just call Scarlett an idiot? 

He senses my mood and rolls his eyes. "Jesus, Elijah, calm the fuck down. She's my friend and she knows I'm teasing." I look at Scarlett, who nods and gives me a hugs as if confirming everything is alright.

Fine.

"But how is it possible you didn't know? I mean, everyone at school knows," Scarlett frowns. Dallas grimaces. "I had practice, Scar. Or I was going on a date with Dylan. Or I was breaking down in the restrooms."

She pouts and gives him a hug. "Poor you. I want you guys back together too," she sighs. I am confused, but I do know Dylan is her best friend, so he was Dallas' boyfriend.

Giving up, I walk to Jordan's office and knock. "Hey, man. Dallas is here," I call. I hear a grumble and the door opens. "Let me guess, Scarlett hugged him and you didn't like it? Seriously, Elijah, he's been her fro what? Half an hour? We can't throw him out every time," he sighs.

Offended, I frown. "Hey! We don't throw him out every time! And no, I'm not mad. Yet. No, I was actually getting you because you have to see this." He rolls his eyes, but follows me to the kitchen.

Dallas and Scarlett are still hugging. Jordan frowns at the sight. "So I was right? Dude, don't be jealous, she's ours," he shrugs. I sigh in frustration.

"No, you moron! They know each other," I snap. His frown deepens. "How? School?" I nod. "Wait, how was it again. I think it was her best friend, that Dylan dude, and him were like, dating and now they broke up."

Jordan's eyes widen. "Oh my God. You were right," he whispers. I grin, smug. Of course I was. "Baby!" Jordan smiles and Scarlett lets go of Dallas to hop to him.

He gently takes her hand in his, twirling her around. It looks like they're dancing. "So how do you like our cousin?" he teases and kisses her cheek. I look up to see Dallas shutting his eyes and wiping away something from his cheek— a tear?

I walk over to him. I'm not good with people, but he's always been nice to me. There must be something I can do, right? His eyes widen when he sees my coming and he quickly turns his back, rubbing his eyes. 

I gently nudge him. "Hey, man. You alright?" He nods, looking down. "I'm fine, really. Listen I don't want to ruin your time with Scar. I can just go," he whispers. I frown. "Nah, we have time enough. You can stay."

His eyes widen again for a moment, probably startled by me being nice. "Ur, okay then." I nod and look back to see Aaron and Scarlett making out. Confused, I look at them. where did he come from all of sudden?

Owen walks in, and Dallas freezes. He quickly turns around, muttering a few curses. "Dude. He's getting hotter every year," he blushes. I grin. "Don't get too turned on, he's taken," I tease.

Dallas sighs. "Why does Scarlett have all the good boys? Well, those three and you two. I don't know why she chose you," he shivers. I punch his stomach, but he barely winces.

Stupid football team.

"Tell me about your good boy," I demand while sipping my whisky. He stiffens again and shakes his head, gazing down. "I can't," he whimpers.

"Do you love him?" I ask. He winces, but nods slightly. Can't say I'm surprised. Dallas has always been a tough outside, but a cheesy inside. But this guy really has him.

"Then it's simple," I shrug and drink the rest of my glass in once. He stares in front of him. "It's not. I think he hates me, which makes it even harder," he sighs.

"Why did you break up?" I ask. He rolls his eyes and looks at me. "Jesus, Elijah, what's with the subtle approach? Please don't spare my feelings."

I cringe. "I'm sorry, I'm not good at talking. Thought I was doing decent." He nods. "You were. Until you asked about the—the breakup." That's where I crossed the line?

"But are you gonna answer?" 

He sighs, deep. "I don't know, honestly. I broke up with him because I felt like I only hurt him. I'm busy with the team, you know? And he always had to wait and Scarlett was alone and I just felt so bad... I said we didn't work and he was crying so bad. Gosh, you should have seen him, it was as if my heart drowned."

My heart would drown too if something happens with Scarlett.

"And then Scarlett scolded me and it all she said—it was just so true. But by the time I was at his house, he made up his mind and just sent me home. Said the same things I said to him, but difference was I didn't believe them. I still don't."

He has tears in his eyes. I frown. He really cares about him.

"Worst part is, he acts like he doesn't care he lost me. I am a complete wreck. I do nothing at school, just sitting there and staring in front of me. And last week he said he was going on a date, Elijah. A date. How?"

This bitch. "I don't know how, Dallas. But from what I can tell, he sounds great. He doesn't let anyone play with him and has standards. That's a good thing," I say.

Dallas glares at me. "Not if it's working against me!" I look at him, calm. "I meant that this boy is worth it. He's worth fighting for. So why don't you try to be friends with him again? The slow approach, winning him back," I explain.

He frowns. "But I want him now." I roll my eyes. Spoiled brat. "Yeah, you can't have everything, Dallas. I don't have parents, you don't have a boyfriend. Guess who will get what he wants first?" I snap. Then, I sigh. So far for being nice.

"I'm sorry," we both say at the same time, then start laughing.

*****

Heyyyy

If you suddenly have a lot of new story updates from this story, I'm gonna correct my spellings. I'm grossed out with them, so yeah

x- N