Chapter 16

10 years old Kiara 👆
Kiara 

I woke up with a gasp, breathing heavily and I started crying. I sat up on my bed and tears just kept falling out of my eyes. A loud sob wracked my body as I rocked myself on my bed. 

It is almost that time of the year again, it is coming. I sat on the bed looking into space and thinking about the nightmare I just had,while tears kept gushing from my eyes. I start having these nightmares during a certain period in the year. 

The death anniversary of my parents. 

I checked the time and it was 5 am, 11 November, 2020. Today is a Sunday, so I decided to go for a run to remove this pain in my chest. I put on a sports bra and tights and my running shoes. I picked up my phone and ear plugs on my desk and I quietly walked out of my room and the apartment, so as not to wake Isabella up. 

As soon as I walked out of the apartment complex, I ran. 

I ran like my life depends on it. 

I ran to forget the pain. 

I ran to forget the past. 

I just kept running with no destination or sense of direction. I just ran. 

By the time I gave control back to my brain, it was already 7 am. I ran for 2 hours straight without stopping. 

I used the map on my phone to direct me back home. Isa was still asleep by the time I  got back, so I sent an email to Mr Williams about my Three days off for the year. 

12th till 14th of November every year, since I have worked with Mr Williams these days are the only time that I take a vacation off work. Mr Williams agreed to it because I told him that it was for psychological reasons. He agreed to give me just three days off from work, which is not enough but it is still something. 

Each year, I go to my hometown, Colorado, where my aunt is now living to visit my parents grave because……………… 

I still feel like its my fault that they died

12 Years ago, November 13, 2008

It was a normal day in my home, I came back from school happy to show my parents my report card, which was of course staight A's. My parents usually came back home an hour later, so I took the keys from under the carpet and went straight to my room to freshen up. I was very mature at the age of 10, my mom was an African American, so I learned a lot quickly, if you know what I mean. 

I received spankings on my butt for any bad behaviors from my mom, but I loved her nonetheless. My dad was British so he didn't really believe in that kind of training, but he doesn't say anything because mom had the final say. 

I finished eating lunch, I put on my jacket because of the snow was falling and it was a bit cold, and I went outside to wait for them like I usually do, I would sit on the swing on the porch and do my assignment as I wait for them. 

After an hour, I saw their car coming, I opened the garage door with the remote control and when they entered, I ran to them to show off my report card. 

"Mum, dad", I hugged them. 

"I got my report card and I passed", I said waving the paper in front of them. 

"Wow baby, you are so intelligent", my mom cooed and she kissed my head. 

"She gets it from me, right my little pumpkin pie" he carried me and threw me in the air and caught me while I giggled cos well its fun.