Chapter 40

When Parker, Ryleigh and Corbin arrived at the Night Howlers', they were immediately attacked. The soldiers didn't bother surrounding them, didn't bother asking them to identify themselves, didn't as much as hesitate a single second. They appeared, and instantly people came swarming from every direction. Some shifted, others attacked with bare fists, and there were even some archers lining up further away.

One flick of Corbin's hand, however, and they all dropped their weapons, lowered their fists, and froze to their spots.

"What a warm welcome," Corbin said. "Where is your alpha?"

"That depends," someone said. "What do you want?"

They turned their heads towards the sound. It was a woman who had spoken – a tall woman with a quick mouth and a piercing gaze. She was approaching from the side, glancing around at the immovable soldiers around her.

"Alpha Alexa," Corbin said, a slow grin slipping over his lips. "As I live and breathe."

Alexa put a hand against the shoulder of one of the mind-controlled soldiers and pushed against it. The man toppled over and crashed to the ground. She grimaced.

"Sorry 'bout that. Fascinating, though." She turned back to Corbin, planting her fists on her hips. "Alpha Corbin, you bastard half-breed rogue-turd."

Ryleigh cocked a brow and shot a glance at Parker, who seemed as lost as she was, but equally as intrigued.

"Fourteen years!" Alexa said, approaching. When she was standing in front of Corbin, she slapped him full across the cheek. His head was knocked sideways and he brought a hand up to his cheekbone, fingers probing the stinging skin. His eyes flitted to her, anger flashing through them, though a smile tugged at his mouth.

"You let me think you were dead for fourteen years!" Alexa said. If she was at all afraid of him, she hid it well. "What kind of rogue-shit is that, then, huh? We were allies. Screw that – we were friends. Not to mention that I had just met my fated mate among your ranks, and was in talks with your father to let him transfer to us." She expelled a breath. "I'm guessing Xander isn't one of the lucky survivors?"

Corbin shook his head. "No."

She nodded. "I knew that. I felt him die." Her features hardened again and she jutted out her chin. "You should've let me know you were alive. I would've helped you."

"Come on, Alex. A secret is no secret if you go around telling everybody."

"Everybody? Am I just a part of 'everybody' to you?" She stepped back, shaking her head. "I know why you're here, and I don't care for it. Get out."

"I know you're angry, but this is bigger than us, Alexa." Corbin's voice lacked its usual harshness, and Ryleigh realised he was trying to placate her. It made her feel uneasy. She never liked when Corbin used his charms to get his way.

Alexa stabbed a finger into his chest. "That's Alpha Alexa for you, and I don't care how big it is. We don't fight other people's wars."

"It is your war too, Alpha Alexa. You hate Alder."

"Of course, but there is a distinct difference between despising someone and rallying out your troops for a suicide mission."

"It is not a suicide mission if enough packs join," Corbin said.

"Fair enough. So, who's joining?" She raised her brows. "I know you visited Crimson Claw, which by the way – really? Crimson Claw? Before me? Good to know where your priorities lie." She shook her head and gestured around her. "Unfreeze my people."

"Are they going to shoot us if I do?"

"As if you'd give them the chance."

Corbin pursed his lips, nodding. "Fair."