Chapter 17: Good night

Elizabeth's POVAfter I shower and dressed for bed, I look out the window as I talk on the phone with Renee while Bella showers

Elizabeth's POV
After I shower and dressed for bed, I look out the window as I talk on the phone with Renee while Bella showers.

"So spring training's going well?" I ask try to be civil with her despite the urge to snap at her again. Renee talks on her cell with Phil is in the background, post-batting practice, chowing down with a couple of teammates "Phil's working hard. We're looking around for a house to rent, in case it becomes permanent. You'd like Jacksonville, baby" I shake my head. I hate the heat. "Actually, Forks has grown on me. I love it here."

Renee pauses unsure of what to say and asks "Could... a guy or girl have something to do with that?" I shake my head and say "You know I've always preferred the cold. Plus I actually made friends here and my friend Edward—" I'm cut off by Renee squealing in delight "Edward?! Tell me everything! Jock? Indie? Bet he's smart. Is he smart?" I roll my eyes and say "He's just a friend mom, more of a—" I turn around to find Edward lying on my bed smiling. I nearly drop the phone.

"I, uh... have to go!" I say quickly and Renee says "No way, we gotta talk boys. Are you being safe?"
Edward shoots me a look, he heard that. I'm mortified "I'll call you later, Mom!" I quickly hang up without hearing her reply "How did you get in here?" I asked and Edward answers "The window. As always."

I push him and he grabs my hand and playfully pulls me onto the bed, wrestling as I teasingly say "You're a peeping Tom! Perv!" And he laughs and says "Shh! The Chief will hear you!" Making me grow quiet which give him an opportunity to tickle me. I let a a squeal and laugh before quieting when he stops. He stared at me for a moment before saying "I just... like watching over you..... I like feeling like I'm protecting you" he reaches up and plays with my hair then disappears as Bella enters scowling at me.

She crawls into bed and I casually do the same and we both turn off the lights. I laid wide awake staring at the window until Bella starts snoring. Edward climbs through the open window. He goes over to my desk chair and pulls it towards my bed before sitting in it. He runs his fingers through my hair as he hums the tune to Clare De Lune softly.

Sleep quickly claims me.