Stars and fast cars

"I'm so pissed, why did he let you drive his car! He doesn't let anyone drive his car not even me!" Rune carry on with his rant because he heard about me driving Hayden's car. But honestly, I'm not even paying attention. 

Over the past three nights, since Hayden and I got together, we've been sneaking out every night. Sometimes it's to just drive around, other times to swim or get ice cream. But honestly, I love seeing him soften with him. 

When he's with me his hard exterior is almost gone. Even if it's for just a minute. 

He's so good with cats. No matter how much he may act like he 'cannot stand them' he truly loves them. He always let them cuddle up with him when we watch movies. 

Speaking of movies Rune is waving the remote in my face when I come back to reality. "Sorry, what were you saying?" He groans slightly and rubs his neck with his hand before saying, "I was asking if you wanted to pick a movie this week?" I nodd whilst feeling the heat of Hayden's eyes neck to me.

It's Tuesday, which is our weekly movie night. The tradition started with just Hayden and Rune. but, when I was little I would sit on the couch hoping they'd let me stay and watch the movie them, but they never did. So after they would kick me out I would lay on the balcony that's above the living room where they'd watch the movie and watch with them.

I did that until I was about 7, making Rune and Hayden 9. When one day they didn't make me leave the couch. I felt so old that day, that I the youngest girl in the neighborhood friend group, was allowed at the weekly movie night. And we've done it routinely every week since.

I met Alica when I was 10, she was new to the school and we clicked instantly. Well, honestly not so instantly. I kind of hated her at first. I didn't even acknowledge her until she won the 'most athletic girl in fourth grade' award. Being a Vesper and losing a competition was an unknown thing. So I was really upset during recess, aka crying behind the slide. And she came up to me and just handed to the award. Like she knew what I needed at that moment, and we've been best friends since. 

She's only been to Tuesday night movies a few times, but secretly I like it that way. I like knowing that this is something just for us. 

Unsurprisingly my clock hits 2:48 am and there's a knock on my door. Gently skipping I crack open the door, "who is it?" my voice thick with honey. There's more pressure on the door now. I think he's pissed off. "The only person it should be, the fuck?" I start to slowly open the door so he doesn't haul himself inside.

He cups my face with his hands and leans down to kiss me. It's not as electrifying as usual, so I know something is up. I push against his abdomen, indicating for him to sit on my bed. I lay down on the farther side. It's a queen-sized bed but he takes up most of it. I pull his head into my lap and play with his hair as he talks.

"They want to pull my scholarship." He says breathlessly. I honestly don't know what to do in this case, but I take in a hard breath of air and just keep looking at him and playing with his hair. "They don't want something who causes trouble on their team."

I know he doesn't blame me, but I can't help but get teary-eyed. The last fight he was in was a month ago in the cafeteria about me. He was protecting me, defending me. But I may be the reason he can't escape this shit-hole of a town.

I lean down, pressing a kiss against his head as I say, "I'm so sorry." And for a few moments, we just sit there. Knowing not what comes next but only knowing that we have each other.

We lay there for what seemed like hours but only turned out to be minutes once he finally said, "let's go for a drive," I sit there silently as he drives outside of town. In fear of how he may react, I suppress the urge to ask where we're going.