Chapter 1: The Beginning

Humming, I watch as the elevator numbers slowly go up, rising to my office floor

Humming, I watch as the elevator numbers slowly go up, rising to my office floor. Level 79. The top floor, overlooking the whole of New York. It's one of my favourite places, my building being so high up that I can see every building in New York City for a couple of miles.

I bought this building two and a half years ago, when I was 13 years old. I had started my fashion company, Hale Fashion Incorporation, and needed somewhere to set up my office when it started becoming popular. Gray, my best friend, my family, my everything, had helped me choose a perfect location. It's close enough to a bundle of coffee shops, great because caffeine is my one true love, as well as walking distance to my apartment.

I bought the apartment for us a year ago when I realised I could no longer stay with my brothers anymore. Everything got too tough and I had recently stopped self-harming and didn't want to relapse by continuing to live there, so I left. I still go back occasionally, just to grab a few things and to not raise suspicion to my CPS or my brothers, not like they would care anyway though. And I know, you may be wondering how I did it all considering I'm still underage. I'm only 15 after all. I just used my fake ID that I use for my assassin jobs, which made my age 19, and then bought it using the money I saved. I don't think my biological "family" (if you even can call those monsters family) know but even if they did it's not like they would care anyways. Not since they blame me for the death of everyone we loved.

Anyways, after I bought the apartment, Grey came to live with me as I didn't want him living at home anymore. His parents were abusive towards him and I didn't want to see my best friend hurt. So, now we live together in our glorious apartment, and life couldn't be better. I've felt genuinely happier than I have in a long time.

~Time skip~

The elevator finally fucking stops, opening me up to my office.

The walls of my office were made of pure glass, allowing me to have a vast view of the New York skyline. The whole of this top floor was mine, giving me the peace and quiet needed for my various tasks of the day. Straightening out my fitted white suit, I walked to my huge oak desk and glanced at the heaps of paperwork and meetings scheduled. It was going to be a long day...

~Time skip to later in the night~

If the phone rings one more fucking time I swear to god I am going to throw it at the fucking glass walls and out the fucking window.

*ring ring*

Fucking hell.

I pick it up, speaking in my usual, cold working voice, "Hale Industries, Lucy Hale."

"Lila Hale don't use that tone with me young lady!" Grey scolded me like he was my mother. What the hell is this kid on. Whatever it is, give me some. "Where the fuck are you? I ordered Chinese food and it's getting cold." he whined. He hated cold Chinese food. I hated cold Chinese food. The only food that was nice cold was pizza, prove me wrong. Especially eating pizza straight from the fridge at 3am. That's the dream...

"Lila? You there?" He questioned.

"Yeah I'm here Grey. Just finishing up some work at H.I. (Hale Industries). I've got one more meeting and then I'm done for the day. Just eat without home and I'll eat after kay?" I grumbled.

"Just be quick. And call me before you leave so that I can walk you back if its dark." Grey said.

"I'm not a baby. I can walk home by myself. And I'm an assassin. A fucking good one as well." I grumbled, cheeks turning a shade of pink.

"I don't care. You're my best friend and I'm walking you back. Okay? Okay, I'm going to go and finish my book. Have fun!" I could almost hear his damn smile through the phone.

I grumbled a bye before hanging up and finishing my paperwork and new sketches for my upcoming collection release. Then, I stood up, stretched my legs and walked to my conference room for my final meeting of the day.

~Time Skip~

That bloody meeting went on longer than I thought. A little after 1 in the morning. I didn't want to wake Grey and it was only a short walk of 20 minutes so I walked by myself. It was peaceful.

I like the night, it's calm and quiet, and if you're especially lucky, you can see thousands of stars gazing down at you. Like a sheet of dark velvet was sprinkled with thousands of sparkling diamonds. Fucking beautiful.

I popped open the door to the apartment as quietly as I could and lightly trodded in, my high heels making no noise whatsoever on the tiled floors due to my extensive assassin training. It was times like these that I was glad I was trained from a young age, it gave me the skill to walk past people without them knowing, especially overprotective best friends. And it was all going so well, I was almost at my bedroom, ready to rip this blazer off and jump into a fluffy hoodie, until my bloody phone started ringing.

"Shit!" I heard from the couch where Grey had fallen asleep, surrounded by an array of Chinese food.

Silently, I grabbed my phone out of my bag, feeling is disappointed glare on my head as he sat up on the couch.

"Hale speaking." I angrily growled into the phone. Who had the fucking audacity to call my phone at 1:30am. "It better be a fucking emergency."