Chapter 23: Lullabies

"The wounds that never show on your body are deeper and more harmful than anything that bleeds

"The wounds that never show on your body are deeper and more harmful than anything that bleeds."
- Unknown

~Recap~
(Alessandro's POV)

Seeing Gio still fuming, smoke almost coming out of his ears, I reign back my own anger, concealing my face as much as possible, but my clenched jaw showing I'm anything but relaxed.

"I'll let you handle this one, brother." I tell Gio in a deathly voice.

"It would be my pleasure." He says, in a scarily sweet voice.

I stand from my chair, the blood in my body practically boiling with rage, and make my way up the stairs to see if she's alright.

I know I need to check.

It's all my fault.

And I don't know how to fix it.

Fuck.

What have I done?

~Now~
(Lila's POV)

After I ran out of the kitchen, I sprinted my way up the stairs, my breath coming out in shorter and shorter inhales.

I can't breathe I can't breathe I can't breathe.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... 10.

I recite the numbers in my head. 1 to 10. Then 10 to 1.

I struggle to get the breaths in.

It's too hard.

What the fuck just happened?

My body is panicked, my hands shaking.

My ears ring ring ring.

My heart pumps pumps pumps.

The sounds are a loud, deafening noise that drowns out anything and everything.

Drowns out the shouts I can faintly hear from downstairs.

Drowns out the sound of incoming footsteps.

And almost drowns out my thoughts.

I wish they would drown out my thoughts.

Before I can get swallowed by the bottomless pit of my mind, I hear a voice.