Chapter 18: A job?

"I do a thing called what I want

"I do a thing called what I want."
- Unknown

~Recap~

And I'm so fucking tired.

I rest my head on his chest, my legs still hanging off the sides, not even reaching his knees.

He tenses, surprised, before slowly wrapping his arms around me, his huge arms engulfing me all the way around.

My eyes fill with tears at the gesture, but I don't let a single one of them fall.

"I miss her, Rock. I miss her so much." I sniffle, my arms hugging him back, not even reaching around him due to his large, muscular frame. (Btw Rock is her old nickname for him)

He stills before shushing me, stroking my hair gently. "Shhhh. I know, sweetheart, I know. It's okay." He whispers.

"But it's not- it's not okay." My voice cracks in the middle, tears almost slipping down my cheeks, but I catch myself before they can spill out of my eyes.

I sniffle again, almost falling asleep against his chest, hearing the calming beat of his heart and his warmth from his body covering me. I rub my eyes slightly to wake myself up.

"You can cry, you know. You won't be any less strong if you cry." He says softly.

Even then, not a single tear drops.

I rub my eyes again, but they are quickly wrapped by Rocco's hand, stopping me from rubbing them. "Stop that." He chastises. "You'll damage your eyes"

I don't reply, my eyes dropping shut more and more.

He notices and moved to pick me up, but I move back and widen my eyes as a response.

"Okay okay! It's okay! I was just going to pick you up and take you to bed. You look like your falling asleep right here on this counter." He says.

"I can do it myself." I say, then jump down from the high counter and slowly limp out the kitchen.

As I get to the doorway, I turn back around and whisper, "Thank you."

And with that, I slowly walk upstairs.

My vision, clouded with sleep and fatigue, slowly blurs more as I strain my body to get up the stairs, but eventually I make it up