Chapter 24: The Start Of The End

"Focus on the step in front of you, not on the whole staircase

"Focus on the step in front of you, not on the whole staircase."
-Unknown

~Recap~
(Alessandro's POV)

I continue to rock her to sleep, not wanting to disturb her.

And I only stand up an hour later, when Gio has practically ordered me to get some sleep too.

But this time, instead of tucking her into her own bed, I get into mine, with her still curled up on my chest.

I lie down, and pull her onto my torso, watching as she shifts to be on my left hand side, ear pressed firmly to my heart.

I hold her in my arms, and I wish with all of my heart, that I could take away her pain, her torment, every wrongdoing she had ever faced.

I love her like my own, I always have.

And I will do anything to keep her safe.

~Now~
(Lila's POV)

The feeling of warm sunlight spreads on my face, the warm duvets keeping the warmth closer to my body.

The light rumble of my pillow lulls me back to sleep, the feeling comforting me.

Wait what?!

I jolt up, bucking against someone's hold.

"Hey hey hey. You're okay. You're okay. It's just me, baby. It's just us. You're okay." A voice says.

My eyes crack open and I take a sniff off the air, hoping to clear my stuffy nose.

Instead, I inhale the calming smell of pine and peppermint. It used to be my favourite smell, made me feel same, reminded me of home. It used to be my eldest brother's smell.