8 | IS THE KING COURTING HIM?

Chapter 8

Part One

The place is dark, only the torch in the four corners gives light to the shabby, small room. A perfect place to plan treason. In the middle of a long table, Duke Avignon is seated holding a cup of wine in his left hand. In front of him, occupying the remaining chair are the nobles who are following him, waiting for the words to come out of his mouth.

Duke Holt Avignon, was one of the founding contributors to the kingdom. His power and wealth can rival the royal family. He is ambitious, greedy, and cruel. That's why no one opposed him and the nobles feared him.

"Our king has now lost his mind!" He said, putting his cup on the table. "Choosing the man as his bride who appeared out of nowhere, he is mad."

"You're right, Duke. It's fine if he chooses your one and only daughter to be his bride." Count Forte seconded as the other nobles nodded their head.

"Such a waste. Lady Avignon has been in the palace since she was a child and has been studying to be the next queen. Out of the candidate. She is the most suitable to be a Queen. Not a....!"

"Your right, Count Hamer. Is the king choose Lady Avignon? There will be no problem at all. "

"If the King hasn't gone mad, what else is there? Since that otherworldly man appeared all of a sudden. The King has also changed and looks like has been bewitched. I don't know what is it but he might be under the influence of the dark magic!"

"I agree. The King never listen to us since then and always ignore our complaints.  He may be under a spell!"

"What should we do? As you can see, King Leon is one of the strongest King the kingdom has ever had. Not only physically, but the magic he possesses is overwhelming that even dark magic is impossible---"

"Silence."

Duke Avignon voice echoed. Everyone went silent, he stared at them as if he is looking down at them. " We need don't have evidence that the strange man is a witch or the king is under the spell. Since the king already announced that he was chosen that man, it's hard for us to pursue making my daughter Bethea, the next queen. But... "

The duke stopped, and his gaze sharpens ready to kill.

"There are many ways how to get rid of mice who are pestering our fields. If we plan it thoroughly, even the great tiger will be clueless"

The others nobles gulped, knowing what he meant. No one uttered a word. Some are sweating. They knew what he is capable of.

"We will cut the roots before it blooms. Not until the king will announce it in public "

"Yes, duke." They chorused.

One.

Two.

Three.

It's been three days since he has been here. His plan to escape was all useless. First, he did not know where the exit was, and second was that the place was so huge that every time he tried to run away, he is just lost and the king caught him when he did. When that happens, the king's actions made him feel weird.

"I wonder if he knew my plan to escape," William mumbled, playing with the Lily flowers in his hand.

He sighed again and put the flowers in the vase. His room was filled with flowers and the fragrance was scattered on the corner of his room.

Beside him is Thelma, who is helping him to put the flowers on the vase. There are there flower vases lining up on the long table.

William didn't know why the King sending him a flower for two days now. It's not like he is courting him.

"What?"

His eyes widen in the truth.

Thea who is trimming down the flower silently jumps in shock when William shouted out of the blue.

"Your Grace, are you ok?"

'Do I look okay?' He wanted to tell her but he didn't.

"You look....pale!" Thelma who didn't know what to do panicked. What if his Grace has an allergy to the flower and he might get sick because of her incompetence?

"I'm fine!" He throw away the flowers he is holding and headed straight to the bathroom, leaving Thelma in confusion.

He stared at himself in the mirror.

His looks didn't change and he is still a man.

Right!

I'm a man. He must not forget that.

End of Part One.

[a/n: sorry for the late update. I got sick and my work got hectic also. But, I'm still thankful that you still support me. Hoping for until the end. Keep safe everyone. ]