Chapter Eight

What did he mean by that?

He was never wrong?

The only thing I could refer from that was that he'd been the one to select me for Infant Care.

But he didn't know me. The few minutes we'd been in each other's presence and I'd carried Jasmine didn't mean anything.

He was drawing parallels between lines that didn't exist.

I needed to talk to him.

I quickly stepped out through the door that still hadn't closed. I looked around but couldn't find him. Pursing my lips, I continued my search, this time for Rafe and not Anya.

But to no avail. The room was too big and there were just too many people.

I finally gave up and sat down on a seat which adjusted itself around me. I ran my hands through my hair that had come out of the braid a long time ago. Sighing, I rubbed my face once. This was ridiculous.

I jumped when a trill sounded throughout the room. I blinked and watched as everyone headed together in one direction.

I blinked and got up to follow them.

Where were they going?

I joined the crowd and looked as people opened their boxes and pulled out something transparent and small. I couldn't get a proper look. Then I realised that I didn't have my box.

Pressing a hand to my forehead, I turned to head towards where I'd last seen it.

But people kept coming in the way. The Humans ignored me and I was able to push past them easily, but the C'Riel would stop and stare at my hair (yes, I know, it's very red), then they'd cringe away as if I was going to touch them.

Letting out a huff of frustration, I carefully manoeuvred around them.

I wasn't going to touch them, why did they behave like it was something foul?

I came to a complete stop in front of a navy blue suit. My eyes went up...and up.

Fire and coal.

Amber and black.

Now I find him, I thought, sardonically.

He jerked his chin in the direction opposite to where I was heading, "The rest rooms are that way."

Rest rooms? Was that where we were going?

"I left my box," I said, flustered as I carefully edged past him.

I quickly headed towards the sofa and let out a sigh of relief when I saw that Freesia and Wolf were still there. Waiting.

Both of them looked behind me before looking back at me. Wolf silently handed me my box.

"Thanks," I said, letting out a sigh of relief.

"That Rafe?" Wolf asked, jerking his chin to somewhere behind me.

I looked behind me and stilled. Rafe had followed me and was standing in his usual way; legs spread, arms crossed. Somehow this time it seemed...threatening.

I nodded, clearing my throat, "Rafe, this is W-" I started but Wolf cut me off.

"Reid," Wolf introduced himself, his grey eyes cold.

Rafe nodded, almost bored.

"Freesia," I said pointing to her and then at Rafe, "This is Rafe."