Chapter Forty Two

I looked at him for sometime, my heart feeding on his jubilant mood, beating faster than it ever had.

I narrowed my eyes, "You won't back down on me?" I asked, one more time, letting him see my vulnerability. Letting him see he could tear me apart just with the nail of his little finger. Just for a second, before I schooled my features.

He went quiet, his smile slipping off his face. He lifted his hand, running his thumb softly near the side of my mouth. He then licked the sauce off that finger, his eyes steadfast on mine.

I let out a breath.

He wouldn't back down on me.

I smiled at him, then turned and walked out of the kitchen, food and all. I ignored the stares and shocked expressions of the people who had crowded around the kitchen and headed towards the couches that were there in the Common Cabin. I plopped down on it, curling my feet beneath me, twirling my spork in the food, tilting my head back a little and letting the very well replicated spaghetti slip into my mouth.

Wolf sat to my left and Freesia to my right. Kylee slowly walked towards us and when I saw her expression, I stilled. Her expression was blank. The kind of blankness that came from having to handle too much pain.

I cleared my throat, guilt gnawing at my insides at the thought of forgetting her struggle in the midst of my happiness.

She shook her head inconspicuously at me, stopping me from saying anything. I pressed my lips together as she came to sit next to Freesia.

She leaned forward, a forced smile on her face.

It was only after Wolf called my name two times, that I realised he'd been talking to me.

"Sorry, what?" I asked.

Wolf and Freesia shared an exasperated look before looking back at me.

"How did this happen?" He asked me.

I looked down at the plate in my hand. Smiling, despite myself.

"It just...did, I guess."

"He must mean business." Wolf murmured, his eyes far off, deep in thought.

Freesia looked at me expectantly and I smiled at her, my eyes flitting to Kylee once before coming back to Freesia.

"It wasn't easy, though." I continued, my eyes searching for the subject of my words, unconsciously.

"Nothing ever is easy." Kylee murmured and I looked back at her.

I agreed then, slowly, "Yeah, somethings aren't."

She looked away and I couldn't blame her for what she was feeling. I looked back down at my food, twirling my spork in it idly.

I saw Freesia and Wolf exchange a glance in my periphery. Wolf cleared his throat, "You better finish that." He said.

I looked up at him, surprised, then down at my plate of food.

"I have to finish this? It's a mountain of food!" I spluttered. I could never eat so much.

He smirked.

"Here, share it with me," I said holding up the plate to Freesia and Wolf.

They visibly shrunk back.

"Whoa, no. You don't want to share that." Freesia said, her eyes darting around anxiously, as if looking to see if anyone had been witness to that.

I placed the plate back down, pouted.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Lady, sharing food means something to the C'Riel. And it means something worse if you're sharing what he made for you with someone else. If I even touch that plate, Rafe will probably see it as a challenge." Wolf said.