Chapter Fifty Three

Consciousness came to me like a slow curling pain. My head hurt and all my muscles ached. I tried to move my limbs but they didn't respond to my commands. I snapped my eyes open and looked down. My eyes widened in shock when I realised I was tied down-tied down-to a bed in the Health Care Centre. I struggled, trying to dislodge the knots holding me down. I snapped my head when a human nurse walked out of one of the doors. She stilled when she saw me and I noticed apprehension fill her features, but right now I wasn't in the mood to consider it. 

"Get these off me!" I growled out, anger unlike anything I've ever known before taking root in my bones and spreading out into my skin and boiling my blood. 

Instead of coming closer, she whipped around and ran. Right back into the room she'd exited from. 

What the hell?

I looked to my left and stilled, all my struggles coming to an abrupt halt. Kylee was lying on the bed beside mine. Her skin was pale, sick looking, sweat beaded her skin and she was ... very much pregnant. 

When Dr. Stevens rushed out of the door that the nurse had run into, I spoke quickly, "Get me out of these, please." 

My voice came out a little calmer, but no steadier. My eyes flit back to my friend. 

As Dr. Steves loosened my fastens, I asked him, "What's wrong with her?"

When he had undone the knots around my torso and arms, I sat up, aiding him in removing the rest that kept me tied down to the bed. I watched as the Doctor's eyes flit almost unwillingly to Kylee's still form, before coming back to his work at hand. 

"She isn't equipped to handle a C'Riel foetus," he muttered under his breath. 

My brows furrowed, "The baby is half-human." I said, my brows furrowing. 

He shook his head sadly and stood up. He met my eyes when I stood too, his own weary and sad. 

"Her baby is all C'Riel, Amour." he said. 

My hands pressed to my mouth in shock as I sank back into the bed. 

"How is that possible? She's human! The baby has to be-" 

"The baby was part human. But over the last three hours, he's becoming more C'Riel and less human." 

"How's that possible?!" I screamed, I didn't realise I was standing until I was. I didn't realise I was screaming until I was. I didn't know my hands were fisted until they were. 

The doctor looked down, his hands fisted by his side, but he kept quiet. 

"How can a child change its genetic composition!? How is she dying? You're a doctor, dammit! You have to do something! How is this possible?"

I expected fear, because recently that's all I had been receiving, but what I saw was frustration.

"I don't know!" He shouted and it was so unexpected, I reared back. He ran his hands through his hair and I noticed that they were trembling. 

Helplessness shifted so quickly to anger that I was left reeling after he said, "For all that you're saying, you should ask your mate! He's the only one who doesn't seem at all surprised with everything that has transpired all this time!" and turned on his heel and stalked away, anger rendering his steps jerky and rigid as he left the Centre, heading to wherever he was going.

My breath came out in harsh gasps, anger and frustration stripping me of any thoughts. It took me sometime to realise that every time I blinked, my vision was different. Superior vision-blink-human vision-blink-superior vision...I pressed my eyes closed, feeling the part of me that I didn't know anything about starting to show itself to me a little.