Chapter Eighteen

Today was my first Infant Care session after lunch. I still remembered the young couple, Lily and Bill, who had asked me to look out for their son, William, and I forced my thoughts to stay there. I didn't allow myself to think anything else. Specifically of a coal-and-fire-eyed, six-foot something, pillar of aggravation.

Our sessions at the centre ended in the afternoon and it was time to head to our resting stations for lunch

Wolf and I exchanged glances as we sat glumly in our seats in the Hover, thinking about the 'detention' we'd received.

When we reached our resting stations, we trudged out slowly, unsure what to do. Freesia was throwing us what's-wrong-with-you? looks the whole time, but we stayed silent.

We followed everyone into the Common Cabin slowly, and almost as soon as we stepped into the large rooms, we were intercepted by a golden haired, maroon-eyed C'Riel. He stood in front of us, seeming almost angry even though the expression on his face was as stoic as wood.

"Your nutrition privileges have been revoked. You have been confined to your resting stations. Please leave. You will be summoned when it is time for you to depart for work." He informed us.

Wolf and I silently turned away, throwing apologetic looks to Freesia who was gaping at the two of us, shocked.

"We'll see you," I told her as we started to step away. She quickly caught my hand and leaned in to whisper.

"Would you like me to bring you anything?" She asked.

The fact that she was ready to go through such a risk just so that I didn't starve was...touching.

I smiled and shook my head.

"Thanks, but no." I told her.

She looked at Wolf who nodded his head in agreement to what I had said.

She threw us looks of pity before heading off to eat. Both of us trudged towards the elevators in silence.

When we got in we looked at each other and Wolf chuckled.

"I would say sorry, but you brought this on yourself." He said.

I half-heartedly slapped Wolf's arm and rolled my eyes.

Just as I was about to get off on my floor, he stopped me with a hand on my arm.

I turned to look at him, his eyes were stormy and there were furrows between his eyebrows, as if he were contemplating something and it made no sense to him.

"Why did you cover for him, Amour?" He asked me, his head tilting. There was no judgement in his question, only curiosity, and that was why I decided to answer.

"I felt like I owed him." I said, truthfully, my shoulders lifting and dropping in a shrug.

Wolf paused again, seeming to think about something.

"A little birdie told me..." He started, before shaking his head and stepping away back into the elevator.

This time, I caught his arm, stopping him.

"Told you what?" I asked.

He seemed to think about telling me and I couldn't refrain from expressing my impatience in the form of a raised eyebrow and the tapping of my foot.