Chapter Twenty Eight

He was brooding.

We'd reached our resting stations and Rafe had gone to return the bike to its place somewhere behind the building.

He'd been quiet the whole trip here. I sighed.

When he strode to me, I cleared my throat.

He looked at me.

"Just say it." I said.

"What?" He asked me.

"Whatever you're thinking. Just say it." I said.

Rafe let out a breath.

"The skin consent between us was not natural," he said.

Of course. This was about the touching.

I rolled my eyes, "You don't have to explain. I won't touch you till you're comfortable." I told him, striding towards the entrance.

He caught up to me and started speaking again, "I-" he started and I plugged my ears.

"I don't care what excuse you're going to give me." I said then started singing lalalalalalal out loud.

He looked at me and shook his head. I dropped my hand.

"I won't touch you," I promised him, "Believe me, I'm not dying to."

I knew we were heading to his floor as soon as we got into the elevator. I wanted to see Ryx anyway.

"You are not giving me the opportunity to explain," he said to me as we stepped out of the elevator together.

"You go right ahead and lie to yourself by rationalising your fears into excuses, but don't spew that bull to me and expect me to fall for it." I said, walking before him to stand in front of his room.

"Lie to myself? What, like you? Do you really look at me like I am your friend?" He asked me, tossing me a dark look over his shoulder as he opened his door.

"Why do you keep asking me that?" I asked, "What makes you think I think if you as anything more?"

The door opened and be stepped inside, but I didn't. I just kneeled down as Rafe entered.

"Ryx, come here, boy." I said, looking at the beautiful dog through Rafe's long legs.

Ryx immediately headed towards me after getting a nod from his master. He stepped out of the room to me, smothering me with his licks.

"Hey, there sweetheart." I said, running my hands under his neck and pressing a kiss to his snout.

I stood up, smiling at his unassuming love, as his tail (and butt) wagged in affection. I pushed him back in the direction of the room and he headed in.

Then he turned and realised I was following. Rafe had already gone in, thinking I would follow.

Not this time, Buster.

The door closed just before Ryx could come back out. I turned and stomped away.

"Don't touch me. I can't get enough of you. Don't fall in love with me. Our touch wasn't natural. I was worrying about you for hours." I growled out.

"Give me mixed signals, why don't you?!" I snapped talking to the air as I stepped into the elevator.

Stabbing my finger in the digit that lead me to my room, I stepped off and got into my room.

I dropped down on my bed and shut my eyes. As soon as my body relaxed into the heat given off by the bed, the throbbing in my arm increased.

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out the pain. I don't know what knocked me out in the end, but the last thing I remembered thinking was: Rafe is an asshole.