Chapter Thirty Seven

I headed straight to the Common Cabin, bag and all, after murmuring a thanks to Anya.

I was hoping she wouldn't follow me, but luck was not my friend today. She stood beside me with a smirk—that probably didn't mean well for me—on her face. I ignored her and stepped into the Common Cabin as soon as the elevator door slid open.

And the first thing I saw was a crowd.

A large crowd that stood in a circle, trying to look over one another.

And I could see a tall dark head in the midst. A head I could recognise anywhere.

What was happening?

I pushed my way through the crowd—not that I had to try hard, because the C'Riel practically cringed away from me—and came to stand in the very front.

Almost as if my anger reached him as soon as I saw him, he froze, his fist pausing mid-air.

His eyes snapped up to look at me, over the head of the human (because he was too short to be a C'Riel) he had in his clutches.

His eyes were dark.

Angry.

I could barely recognise him.

He looked emotionless.

I looked from him to the human in front of him and slightly shook my head. I started to turn away when I heard the distinctive sound of skin meeting skin, followed by gasps all around me—C'Riel and human alike—and I froze.

I whipped back around and saw that Rafe had taken a hit. His head was turned to the side from the impact and he made no move to block the next punch that went straight to his mouth.

Then he met my eyes.

In that moment, I knew. He'd taken that hit for me. To stop me from leaving. I also knew something else. From the anger that boiled in me that someone had punched him, I knew...I had feelings for this man.

This glorious alien.

I had feelings for him.

I felt a burden lift off me at that revelation to myself.

When the human cocked his hand back again to throw a punch, I quickly stepped forward.

"If you throw that punch, my knee is going to say hi to your little special place." I said as I came to stand right in front of Rafe, facing the human who had raised his fist at him.

I met the man's glare as he straightened. He came a few inches taller than me, but I didn't care, I would keep my promise if he threw another punch.

"Keep your man under your control," he spat.

I bristled, but didn't let it show.

"Keep your tongue under control. Know where you stand and who you stand against." I warned.

For the first time, indecision flickered in the man's eyes as he looked behind me.

"You were able to throw that punch because he let you. And now you're going to walk away, before I don't let you." I said, my eyes narrowed.

His eyes snapped back to mine and he glowered. He opened his mouth to say something—probably something derogatory from the look on his face—when the large mountain of heat and anger that stood behind me spoke.

"If I were you, I would be very careful of what I say next."

The voice skated over my spine and settled into my bones, sending heat spreading all over my body, all the way to my toes. I had to clench my fists to keep from shivering.