Chapter Twelve

Amour, I am not who you think I am. And I am definitely not the good guy.

He called me Amour. Clearly he meant business.

And what do you think I think of you? I asked.

For sometime, I didn't get a reply and I wondered if I was even going to get one.

Do not ever talk up to a C'Riel again. He said instead.

My lips lifted in a smirk. He directly avoided my question. Interesting.

Your concern is heartwarming. I told him, sarcasm dripping from my words.

At least you admitted I have an affect on you. He said in response.

I was stunned to silence for a few seconds.

Don't flatter yourself. I told him.

I would not dare. He replied and I could almost hear the smirk in his voice.

Stop smirking. I told him and I could tell my voice sounded disgruntled.

Before he could say anything else, I asked, How does this device work?

Much like how any other device works, was the response.

Was he serious? He wasn't going to tell me?

Rafe, I said, my voice sounding annoyed even to me.

Hills. He said.

I removed the device from where it was around my ear and clenched it in my hand.

"Aren't you going to ask me what happened?" Kylee asked me, biting down on her lip.

I sighed, rubbing my forehead.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked.

She shook her head, her dark hair fanning her cheeks. She looked down.

"Then, I won't ask about it."

Then I leaned forward a little bit and closed my hand over hers.

"But Kylee," I said and waited till she looked back up at me, "If you want to talk, I'm always here."

She nodded at me, giving me a smile.

I relaxed back into my seat, my brain heading in the direction I wished it wouldn't.

I am definitely not the good guy.

What makes him think I think he's a good guy?

I shook my head. I didn't want to think about our conversation. I wouldn't think about him at all. If he was telling me he wasn't the good guy, I wasn't going to investigate its truth.

He wasn't the good guy? Great. He was. Even better.

Should it make a difference to me? Nope.

Does it make a difference to me?

I paused at that thought.

I don't know.

I huffed out a breath.

It was better I refrained from anymore conversations with him. He was confusing me and I didn't want to be caught in any drama.

And Anya looked like all kinds of drama.

When the Hover reached the building we stayed in, we all got out of the Hover and headed to our rooms after deciding to meet at the Common Cabin.