Chapter Forty Seven

Was it just a few minutes ago that everything was perfect?

We'd been whispering nothings and everythings in the space between kisses when Rafe closed his eyes and murmured, "I feel you." against my lips.

I'd laughed and said, "Well, that sounds about right because I'm pressed up against you."

Rafe's eyes flashed open and he stared at me. I knew at that second, I'd said something wrong. I don't know what, but whatever it was, I knew it was serious when he got off me.

I sat up, watching Rafe warily as he pulled out the first aid box he'd set aside. I slowly got off the bed and noticed that he'd taken something in his hand. My brows furrowed because I didn't know what it was. He straightened and I looked up at him, my eyes dropping to whatever was curled in his hand.

When his fingers uncurled, my eyes snapped up to meet his.

"What's that?" I asked, just as he lifted the small sharp object and pressed it to his left palm.

When he pressed the object into his hand, I lurched forward, catching hold of his arm and trying to tug it away from the other.

"Rafe, what are you doing?" I snapped, throwing him a worried look, which he returned with a flat one of his own. I was no match for his strength and determination, and he ended up pressing the object deep into his hand.

I cursed when blood welled from his hand, dripping onto the floor. I caught his left hand in both of mine and was about to stem the flow when he ripped his hand from both of mine. Drops of Rafe's blood splattered against the wall behind him at the rough action.

"Do you feel that?" He asked me.

"Rafe what are you talking about?" I asked, stepping forward to get a hold on his bleeding hand again, but he put his good hand out, his forearm pressing against my stomach—stopping me—as he drew his wounded arm further away.

"Do. You. Feel. That." He stressed.

I swallowed, my gaze shifting from his bleeding hand to his eyes. His expression was blank and my heart sank, dread spreading through me. A coldness that had nothing to do with the temperature took root in me. 

"I don't know what you're talking about Rafe. Please just give me your hand, this is madness." I said, truthfully.

He caught my chin with the fingers of his good hand and he looked at my eyes. When my eyes slid to look at his still bleeding hand, he tilted his head a little and moved my chin so that I had nowhere to look at but him again.

I don't know what he saw, but it didn't make him happy. His eyes that had been a bright amber all this time, started to develop cracks of black in them. His hand dropped away from me and his eyes shut, his jaw clenched and his good hand fisted at his side. I took the chance to grab the things I needed from the first aid box. I took his wounded hand gingerly, tossing him an unsure glance, but he stood frozen with his eyes shut and jaw clenched.

Cleaning the wound carefully, I spread the ointment that I'd seen Rafe use, that sealed skin in a matter of minutes. I wrapped it up in a light dressing just in case. I placed everything back inside the box and slowly removed one of the sanitary wipes from inside and cleaned my hand, then walked to the wall to dispose of it in the compartment that had opened up. I stood facing the wall for a whole minute, not knowing what to do.

What just happened? 

I turned back to Rafe, who stood as I'd left him. With his back to me. Still as death.