Chapter Thirty Nine

I stepped up my pace, not wanting to give in to the urge to turn around and look.

I do not care. I do not care. I do not care.

I walked up to stand behind Anya. She looked up at me and nodded and I did the same in acknowledgement.

I stepped into the centre, the cries of delight spreading a smile on my face. I walked straight to Jasmine and found her fast asleep. I leaned in and pressed a kiss to her forehead, my hair falling like a curtain around us. I leaned back, rubbing my thumb against her plump cheek before heading toward blue eyed William, who recognised me immediately.

Smiling at him, I picked him up, bouncing him lightly on my hip.

"Hey, stranger." A male voice said.

The term was so human that I turned around surprised. I met blue and white eyes that were more blue than white.

He was Anya's cousin. I'd met him the first time I'd come to Infant Care.

"Blue, hey." I said, remembering the nickname I'd given him. He smiled brightly at me, stepping towards me.

"You remembered." He said.

"You seem surprised," I said, looking back at William, who suddenly reached out towards Blue.

Blue stepped closer and took the child from me. William stared at Blue, with stars with his eyes.

I chuckled, "I think you have a fan." I observed.

Blue smiled at William, then looked back at me, his expression turning serious and leaned a little closer, "Did you fight with him?" He asked.

I could almost feel myself stiffen at the mention of him.

I shrugged in response.

Blue's eyes slipped to see something behind me.

"Do not look now, but he is introducing Kila to the new girl." He said.

Kila? 

I peeked over my shoulder inconspicuously and anger and jealousy churned in my stomach. I turned back and shrugged, because if I opened my mouth I was scared I would cry.

I took a deep breath.

He was introducing the dark haired, maroon eyed child he had me meet the last time we came here, to some other girl. Clearly, this was some kind of routine. I also happened to notice the girl was human.

"Good news, Kila is not impressed." Blue said.

I couldn't help the smirk that came then.

"At least she's got taste." I said.

Blue's eyes snapped to mine.

"Lover's quarrel?" He asked.

I snorted, "Hardly." I said.

"Want to play a game?" He asked.

"What kind of game?" I asked, my eyes narrowing.

"A game where we get to piss Rafe off." He said.

I shook my head, no.

"I don't play those kind of games." I said.

Blue's eyes raised and his voice dropped lower, "So what kind of games do you play?" He asked.

Did he just...?

"Did you just hit on me?" I asked.

Blue smirked. "I've been working on some lines."