09 - La Madre

It's days like yesterday that make me think of how complicated I am

It's days like yesterday that make me think of how complicated I am. Perhaps it is because of what happened to me, or because I am just naturally complicated. The embarrassment that I feel at the moment is too much that I don't want to see Rafael ever again. He probably thinks that I am too complicated and hard to handle, that he might doesn't even want to be my friend. Not that we were friends before, the man hates me.

Removing the duvet that's wrapped around my body, I lazily make my way to the bathroom. The dream I dreamt comes crashing down at me as I sit on the toilet and do my business. My father and brother, Andrew, were questioning me, demanding to know why I helped criminals escape. My father had a scowl on his face, while my brother had a sad look. He was always the gentle type, though he left the moment he could to escape my parents.

My father then grabbed my hair, making me scream in pain, as he pushed my face on the table, demanding answers. That's when I woke up.

I am not concerned about the police funding me as much as I am concerned about my father finding me. Not that he ever laid his hands on me, but I know that he would do emotional and mental damage—much worse than what the police would do.

Not saying that physical damage is less of a pain than mental and emotional damage. They're all worse than the other.

I flush the toilet and clean myself with water before washing my hands and brushing my teeth. My hair looks messy and disheveled.

I sigh before leaving the bathroom and getting ready for the day.

I pull out my favorite outfit, a crop-topped white blouse, high-waisted light blue straight jeans, and my lucky white air force.

It's considered a teenager's look, but who cares. Anyone can wear whatever they want.

I grab my white coat and walk out of my bedroom. The smell of French toast hits my nostrils as I make my way downstairs. I almost moan in delight at the smell. My legs involuntarily make their way to the kitchen.

The back of a woman standing beside the table catches my eye. Her beautiful brown shoulder-length hair looks shiny under the sunlight, but what catches my attention are her eyes. Just like Rafael's.

Beautiful forest green.

I see Manuel with a bright smile, helping the woman with the food. I look in awe as I see his eyes sparkle as if he's seen the most beautiful thing in the world.

"Good morning," I say with a grin as I look at both of them.

"Good morning, mi hija! Come, let me introduce you to my wife!" he excitedly says.

"Mrs. Santos, it's very nice to finally meet you," I politely say, raising my hand for her to shake.

She looks intently at me with narrowed eyes, making me feel as if I said something room, but then a smile covers her red lips as she grabs my hand and pulls me into a hug.