32. When Ana Frogives Andrew

Ana

Dreaming of someone you love dying sucks. I have had enough of losing people that are close to me, whether family or friends. I woke up today from a nightmare. I dreamt that Andrew had died and I couldn't say goodbye.

I know that I haven't been that caring about him ever since I came here, but that was because I wasn't ready. I thought I was never going to be ready until now.

I found Andrew in the backyard, sitting alone under the cloudy sky. No one is awake, yet. It is 5 in the morning and I only woke up because of the dream, which lead me to want to drink water.

"Andrew?"

He quickly turns around, surprised to see anyone awake at this time.

"Ana? Hey...what are you doing up at this time?" he asks, looking drained.

"I was drinking water when I saw you sitting here alone."

He sighs and nods. I hesitate to ask him, but eventually, I do.

"Is something wrong?" I ask, sitting beside him on the bench.

He looks taken aback by my question. "I am just thinking about the future."

"What about it?"

"We no longer have a family. Dad's missing, mom and Sarah no longer talk to us, and you...well, we still need to get your name cleared for you to live normally."

"I didn't know that mom and Sarah don't talk to you..."

"Ever since dad died, they stopped talking to me. I tried reaching, you know, to check up on them, but they refuse to speak with me." He shrugs. "I think dad told them something about me and you."

"I wish I could relate to you, Drew."

He grins. "You haven't called me that in so long. I miss it."

I smile weakly. "I am sorry if I was being so hard on you. I was just protecting my heart."

"It's okay...I deserve it."

"Don't say that."

"But it is the truth, Ana. I left you for the mafia."

"You left me to protect me," I reply.

"Still, I could have found a way to keep you both."

"Stop beating yourself up about it. I know I am the reason you feel this way because of how I acted, but please, stop. I wasn't thinking and I acted on my emotions."

He smiles weakly and all of a sudden hugs me.

I won't lie, it was a bit surprising because I haven't hugged Andrew in a very long time, but it felt so good at the same time.

I hug him back.

"I have dreamed of this moment, Ana," he says, his voice muffled.

"Are we good?"

"We are."

"Well, since we are good, can I play the brother card and tell you how angry I am that you are with Rafael?"

"No, you can't," I reply, rolling my eyes. "Besides, you love Rafael."

He chuckles. "I do, but that doesn't mean that I can't act as the big bad brother, who doesn't allow his sister to date."

"Where has the brother who used to drive me to dates and meet them gone?"

"When you join a mafia, you change."

"I agree. I did," I say with a sigh.

I used to be a well-known doctor. Someone who cared about helping people and my job was everything to me.

When I joined the mafia, everything changed. Yes, I still care about people, but I mostly care about the ones that I love. Also, I haven't practiced in a long time and I feel like I can't be a doctor after what happened to me.

It is wrong to think that way, but I can't help it. I killed someone and I will have to live with that for the rest of my life.

* * *

Mia and River are trying to find a way to clear mine and Cash's name. He was the one who robbed a bank and gave the money to the poor.
Luckily for me, Mia found that the chief of the prisoners, not chief Zeke, didn't have any evidence of me leaving the door open intentionally for the criminals to escape. Not only that, but also she found dirt on him and threatened him to let the matter go or everything will be given to the press.

He is my case go and announced that I am innocent.

The first person to call Manuel's phone to congratulate me is chief Zeke.

The only thing that is left to live somewhat normally is Cash's problem. It is hard to let a matter like that go away in a matter of days.

"Do you think it will work?" Cash asks as we all sit in the living room.

"I am sure Mia and River will find a way to make it work," Manuel replies.

"The only way that it could work is if we put the blame on a criminal who has done it before," Cash points out.

"It could be played in so many ways. Let's just wait for them to get back to us," Victoria replies. "Anyways, I can't wait to go back to my house," she continues, changing the subject.

"We will, honey. As soon as Cash is cleared," Manuel replies, patting her shoulder.

"I swear, this whole year is so weird," she adds.

"I agree..."

"I agree."

"True."

We, the rest, reply.

I do agree. This year has been a nightmare. Nothing didn't happen this year. It just feels like everything fell apart to the point that it is hard to recover from it. I just hope the next year would be better for us and for everyone.

I think my new year's resolution would be, Cash and Alba to get engaged or married, or at least, together. It has been eye-watering seeing Cash struggle all these months for love and seeing Alba struggling with her feelings and trust.

I wouldn't mind getting married as well.