Twenty-three

*********************Flashback**********************

Rose strolled lazily into the entrance of the orientation building next to her big brother. She didn't want to be there at all. Rose saw no point in being present as no one was sure that this year would be the year it all got reset, that a fresh start would be happening for them all.

It was a guess they were making; Rose had no time for guesses in her life. She was all about planning exactly what would happen and when. For this, her brother was always teasing her for being a nerd. Already having done it once this morning, when he entered her room, threw a pillow at her and told her to get dressed or they'd be late.

She didn't mind much, after all it was just banter that kept them bonding.

"I'm going to check what's around." Rose told her brother before starting to walk away from him. She didn't look at him, there was no need to.

Their parents had left hours before them to help set up the various rooms, they must have been exhausted by the time they had finished, Rose assumed with how many chairs were lying around in the current room she was standing in

She decided to take a proper detailed look around the room. People were scattered socialising with friends and family, probably also mocking the letters informing them that it was mandatory for each person over the age of ten to turn up.

There were blue plastic chairs strewed around the edges, as if they had been pushed back from the people that arrived. Not a care in the world that someone would've taken ages to place them where they did.

Information sheets littering the walls on what actions are important, what skills will be encouraged and needed, as well as the vital aspect to survival being to make sure that they were all fit and healthy.

Rose scoffed and rolled her eyes at seeing those signs, they were just going to inflict panic and disorientation; claiming to be doing it to ensure that everyone was prepared, but Rose was sure it was actually because they wanted another way to control them all. To keep everyone in line.

Rose spotted her mother and father in the corner, whispering urgently to one another. She had no idea what about, but she wanted to find out.

With tunnel vision Rose strutted her way over to her parents, weaving in and out of the people as best as she could. She had never really gotten to know the people living in her village, only ever seeing it as a void matter, if she was to go off what the government tells them all; they were insignificant beings. She still had friends, but none of them really lived in their village.

She saw her parents ready to start making a move away from each other to clearly to go sort out whatever they were arguing about. She stopped caring about those around her, speeding up her steps attempting to get to one of them before they completely disappeared.

Her parents had been being secretive for days, whispering to each other until her or her brother walked into the room, when they all of a sudden stopped talking, pretending as if they hadn't been talking about whatever they had been talking about; before coming up with unbelievable stories on why they had to leave the room there and then.

Rose had had enough of it.

As she was getting closer towards them; she felt a hard body slam against hers. Their chest hitting her head. Wincing from the pain imitating from the side of her brain, Rose looked up glaring at the guy who was already glaring at her.

"You should watch where you're going. At least be polite enough to apologise to someone if you don't." He uttered at her perplexed at the look she gave him straight away, almost as if she was ready to blame him for running into her.