Chapter 8

Author's pov...

"Baba, mujhe job karni hai." Shimrah uttered as she sat in front of her father and brother.

It's been a week since she received her degree and wanted to start applying for jobs but she also wanted ask her father's permission before. It was evening when her whole family was seated in the living room after having dinner.

"Theek hai. Karlo." Her father allowed her without in further discussion but Shimrah felt like a bif bomb was going to be thrown at her.

"Shakeel. Iski umr dekhiye. Shaadi ki umr hai. Aap isse job karne kese denge. Mujhe iske job karne se kuch aitraz nahi hai par iski shaadi hona bhi important hai." Her mother was worried about her.

"Mumma, Shimrah ko job karna hai toh woh kar sakti hai. Aur baat rahi iski shaadi ki toh mai nahi hone donga jab tak ye khud raazi nahi ho. Mai Shariya ki shaadi ke liya isliye raazi hua kyunki usse koi interest nahi tha padhai mai ya job mai and she was also ready for marriage but Shimrah is clearly not." Sameer was not always a fan of his sisters being caged in the house like most people do to the daughters of a house.

"Job to mai bhi karana chahti hon Shimrah ko. Par logon ki soch esi nahi hai. Woh Shimrah ke character ke upar sawal utha sakte hai. Hamare khandan mai aaj tak kisi larki ne job nahi kiya. And who knows how her fellow employers will be. What if they are not good?" Her mother reasoned while Shimrah sat silently letting the elders take the decision.

"Mumma, hume fark nahi padhta log kya sochenge. Generation badal gaya hai. Ab ladkiyan job karti hai. Aur aapko aapki parwarish par yaqeen hona chahiye. Shimrah kuch bhi galat kadam nahi uthaygi." Shariya supported her sister as well knowing very well what is right for her.

"Par-"

"Bas! Mai abhi zinda hon decisions lene ke liye. Tum log ko behas karne ki koi zaroorat nahi hai." Her father's words cut her mother's words which were going to protest against Shimrah.

"Shimrah, tum job kar sakti ho... Par woh company jisme Sameer kaam karta hai." Her father made a decision making Shimrah's eyes go wide in shock. She didn't want to work with her brother because it would embarrassing if her boss shouted at her or if she made a mistake in front of him.

"Nahi Baba." Sameer was fast enough to refuse his father before Shimrah herself would do it.

"Kyun?"

"Mujhe mere company ke ladkon ke baare mai pata hai. Roz dekhta hon unhe. Shimrah can't work with them." Sameer said truthfully as Shimrah released a deep breath she was holding.

"Theek hai fir Shimrah Mustafa ke company mai kaam karegi." Her father's words again made her hold her breath. Her body froze at Mustafa's name. She felt her heart beating at an irregular pace just by listening to his name.

"Par Baba, kis ko maloom woh company mai kese type ke employees hai. Bhai ki company mai bhai ko maloom hai kese log hai par 'unki' company ke baare mai kisi ko bhi nahi maloom hai." Shimrah address Mustafa as 'unki' which went unnoticed by everyone.

"Mai Baba se agree karta hon Shimrah. Aur rahi baat wahan ke employees ki, don't worry about it. Me and Masi had appointed most of them and I have even gone to his company a few times and all his employees are friendly." Sameer liked the idea of Shimrah working in a company from where he could easily get information about her well-being.

"Shimrah, tum Mustafa ki company mai kaam karogi ya kaheen nahi." Her father's stern words made her realize that she didn't have any other choice.

"I agree with Baba."

"Mai bhi tumhare Baba ke ye decision se sehmat hon. We can trust Mustafa with your safety." He sister and mother agreed upon her father's words making Shimrah sigh.