003 - America's Turmoil

Japan was confused by the time slip. The next nation that was confused was the United States of America, which suddenly lost contact with Guam because the US military from 100 years later was stationed in Japan and contacted them.

Interaction with US Forces Japan and exchange with this Japan through the USFJ. The information that they have obtained 100 years in the future will be a tremendous boon to the United States. At the same time, it is a lost cause. When they thought of the damage and responsibility that the US had suffered over the 100 years, they wondered if it would not be an endless hassle to stand as the leading capitalist nation. This led to the creation of the Century Institute, a think tank to study and review the 100 years. The subject was the gains and losses of the American hegemony and the pros and cons of the relationship with Japan.

The emphasis was also placed on the fact that 100 years from now, the United States would no longer be a white nation. Since the commander of the US Forces Japan was of Puerto Rican descent, the US became deeply aware of this fact. As a white nation, the US, therefore became distressed and shelved the issue. They'll figure out the rest later.

The Century Institute's consideration included the seizure of Japan's advanced science by the US Forces Japan. However, by the time the study was conducted, the US military facilities in Japan were running out of fuel, making it difficult to carry out such an operation. In addition, a person from the USFJ who was participating in the organization said that it was emotionally difficult for the USFJ to take any action because of the situation of the SDF in Japan. *2 The officer argued that if the plan fails, Japan will be the enemy 100 years from now.

Japan's current GDP is not comparable to that of the US, so there may not be a problem in the short term, but in the long term, there will be a terrible retaliation. *3 As a result, the pro-Japanese stance will be maintained. *4

. . .

Trade with Japan

The United States was the only country that could supply the food that the time-displaced Japan wanted. When Japan asked for exports, the US readily agreed, as it would be a source of food that had been in short supply since the end of World War. In return, Japan offered electrical products such as air conditioners and refrigerators. *1 The US negotiating team visiting Tokyo, especially those from companies involved in the trade, asked the government to accept the offer, and trade began.

. . .

Advancing to China

During negotiations with Japan, the topic of the disposition of territorial interests outside the four home islands of the Japanese Empire came up during a chat. As a result, the US succeeded in negotiating the sale of its interests in Kwantung and Manchuria to Japan ahead of other nations.

However, with regard to the expansion into China, the Japanese government has been discreetly asking, "We are happy to sell it to you, but are you sure you are okay? You are sure you will not get bogged down, right??" The USFJ also stopped the project, saying that there was a 200% probability of failure (meaning 100% certain failure and 100% certainty of damage from a huge fire). However, the domestic business community's demand for a new consumer market for the nation's productive power, which had been depleted since the end of World War, pushed the US to expand into China. In addition, the US Army and Navy could provide new posts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes

*1: White goods such as air conditioners and refrigerators that were used in Japan, and later, commercial equipment used in food resources. From the US point of view, these were 100 years ahead of their time, and they were eager to sell them. Later, the US tried to reverse engineer the product, but failed due to the lack of basic technology, especially in electronics. As a result, the US companies became resolute and imported the failed parts from Japan and assembled them in the US to complete the products and start selling them.

*2: In the 2020s, the SDF and the USFJ were becoming more and more integrated, which meant that if any special action was to be taken, the other side would immediately be informed of the preparations, such as the accumulation of supplies.

*3: Since he had been in Japan for a long time, he had a good understanding of the Japanese. He understood well that Japanese people when they really lose their temper do things without hesitation or mercy. He also lectured and explained the history leading up to the Pacific War. The lecturer understood well that the Japanese are troublesome and very dangerous people, who are deathly naïve when it comes to their allies, but when it comes to their enemies, they are capable of acting without regard for profit or loss. All of this is explained in an easy-to-understand manner.

*4: When Japan prepares to expand its military without a purpose, the US will prepare for war against Japan. If not, the US would respond peacefully as the basic policy. The reason why the US did not raise its alarm over Japan's apparent superiority in science, technology, and national power was that Japan's military was, from the US perspective, very modest.

The ground forces consisted of nine divisions and eight brigades (seven motorized divisions, one mechanized division, one armored division, six mechanized brigades, one airborne brigade, and one marine brigade). The air force consists of 500 fighter aircraft. The maritime force consists of 2 light aircraft carriers, 4 helicopter destroyers, 12 guided missile destroyers, 20 destroyers, and 22 frigates. They should not be careless, but the scale is small enough that they do not need to be alarmed, or so it seemed.

The tanks were all heavy tanks of 40 tons or more, numbering about 1.000 of them. The fighters are jets, and there are almost as many combat UAVs. Destroyers are at least 5.000 tons in displacement, and there are 32 of them. The helicopter-carrying destroyers are fraudulently named aircraft carriers. The light carrier is a super-large ship with a standard displacement of 60.000 tons, even though the word "light" is used. Furthermore, there are even two 50.000-ton ships called "landing ships" in the carrier-like force.

When the American military officials learned of the SDF's capabilities, they snapped, "Is this a scam? Are you motherfucking kidding me!?"

Afterward, after a cup of coffee, they toasted to the wisdom of their predecessors, thanking them for having chosen the friendly route.