069 - The French Colonial Empire's Upheaval - 3

Germany's interference in France's African colonies provoked reactions from France and Britain. A fierce battle involving intense information warfare and spies ensued. Normally, even in hidden information warfare on the diplomatic stage, there would be no gunfights or killings like in pulp fiction. *1 However, France did not hesitate to launch attacks against Germany in the coastal areas of Africa and within Spain.

One of the reasons for this was that France had resolved to determine the outcome against Germany in the not-so-distant future. And if it came to war, France intended to fight until Germany was destroyed. To that extent, the records of World War II brought by the French Embassy in Japan had stirred up anger towards a future in which Germany had once been annihilated. Furthermore, the future of the European Union (EU) was also unfavorable in their eyes. In order to avoid war, France (the future France) appeared to have yielded to Germany (of all countries). They could not tolerate being under Germany's influence. Therefore, they were determined to thoroughly crush Germany so that it could not be rebuilt. Their determination was such that it made the other three countries at the G4 liaison meeting, where future information of Japan was shared, visibly uncomfortable.

. . .

Spain

Due to the frequent casualties suffered by Spanish people caught in the brawl between France and Germany, Spain secretly contacted both countries, expressing regret and inquiring if a peaceful resolution was not possible. In response, France displayed an arrogant attitude and attributed the cause to Germany's challenge to the international order. Furthermore, France requested Spain's cooperation in removing Germany, which disrupts the international order. On the other hand, Germany argued that it was acting in self-defense against France's unjustified acts of violence and that Spain should align itself against France.

The Spanish government found itself in a dilemma. While Spain leaned towards Germany in terms of political systems, France was a neighboring country and a major power—a military powerhouse, in fact. Spain, with its fresh wounds from the Civil War, was not in a position to easily take a hostile stance, even if it was politically motivated. If it were as simple as severing ties with Germany and siding with France, it would still be challenging.

Due to its alignment with Germany on the international stage, proclaiming fascism and having close ties with Germany, Spain had a distance to cover in terms of the G4 countries, which, led by France, held the reins of the world economy. Unless Spain possessed an ace in the hole like Italy's oil resources, a change in allegiance (parting ways with Germany) would pose problems, but Spain did not have such a convenient asset (wild card). In the end, Spain's position could be described as the sorrow of a middle power caught between two great powers.

. . .

Italy

Italy was also affected by the confrontation and clandestine warfare between France/Britain and Germany in Africa, along with Spain. It wasn't as if Germany was attempting to access France's African colonies through Italy. However, in the aftermath of small-scale disturbances, independence movements occurring in France's colonies adjacent to Libya, a promised land to enrich Italy, were starting to reach Italy's doorstep.

Refugees.

Through these refugees, news of the independence movement in France's colonies made its way to Libya. The Italian government found itself in a dilemma. They had only recently succeeded in suppressing the independence movement in Libya in the 1930s. If the Libyan people's desire for independence were to be reignited, it would be a serious problem.

Currently, Libya was experiencing vigorous investment from Japanese and British companies in the development of its oil resources, which, in turn, revitalized the stagnant Italian economy. To have the source of vitality for the Italian economy come to a halt was unacceptable to Italy. However, at this stage, cracking down on the movement, including repression, would provoke resistance and could potentially fuel the flames of the independence movement. Therefore, Italy had no choice but to avoid taking an aggressive stance. Therefore, Italy had to choose a carrot-and-stick approach.