134 - World War II - 1

"War does not determine who is right only who is left."

Bertrand Russell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon receiving Germany's diplomatic declaration, which set a 24-hour deadline, the League of Nations convened an emergency session. After some debate, it unanimously adopted a resolution condemning Germany. Additionally, the resolution included a clause stating that in the event of actual war, member countries of the League of Nations would cooperate to resolve the situation within their capabilities. Everyone understood that this cooperation could include all possible measures (including war).

The French representative had a broad smile. The British representative had a dark smirk. The American representative maintained an air of indifference. The Japanese representative wore his usual smile (an archaic smile). Representatives from other countries also cast their votes while behaving in ways appropriate to their respective positions. The Soviet representative, despite being practically an ally of Germany, voted in favor with a resigned expression. *1

In addition to the League of Nations General Assembly, the Security Council also convened. Based on the General Assembly's resolution, as previously planned, a War Supplement Committee was established as a platform for unifying command and communication for the collective self-defense action (military operations) against Germany. However, as the name suggests, the War Supplement Committee was not given any command authority. The general consensus was that with the G4 fully committed, the war would end quickly. It was more of a clear-cut fact than mere optimism.

At least at that point in time.

"The war will be over by Christmas." For the first time, this was expected to be a reality rather than a historical joke, as stated with a serious face by the French committee member of the War Supplement Committee.

. . .

The Netherlands

In response to Germany's declaration, the Dutch government took three actions.

First, and obviously, they firmly rejected Germany's demands.

Second, they called for national unity to endure the harsh war ahead. There was no public backlash. The pro-German faction had already been suppressed (oppressed), so there was no one left to voice opposition. Germany's exposure of its true intentions—shedding the mask of friendship and kinship it had worn with the Netherlands to reveal its brutal ambitions—had convinced the average Dutch citizen that any friendship with Germany was out of the question. Furthermore, the situation developed so rapidly that the opposition had no meaningful time or opportunity to act (or voice their opinions). In an era without the internet (social networking services), the time and effort required for the general public to obtain information and raise their voices was immense.

Additionally, the government called for the mobilization of reservists and the evacuation of civilians to the rear. The Dutch government knew these actions would not be in time to meet the impending war with Germany, but it served as a demonstration of their resolute determination to confront Germany.

Finally, the Dutch government turned to the League of Nations Security Council (primarily France and Britain) for full support. Before Germany's declaration, when military forces had already begun to face off in the southern North Sea, the Dutch government had been privately requesting national protection from the League of Nations member states. In this urgent situation, they demanded actual military deployment. It would be more accurate to say they groveled, pleading on their knees and clinging to their trousers in desperation. The Dutch government did not misjudge when it was time to yield. This attitude, throwing away pride and shame, was met with a wry smile but acceptance from even the most seasoned diplomats. After all, the League of Nations was committed to maintaining international peace. For its own reputation, it could not ignore Germany's aggression.