133 - The End of the Fomentation

The Netherlands, which cast aside human rights, humanitarian principles, and other considerations, did not hesitate to use science (truth serum) and violence against its own soldiers. Because of this, they showed no mercy to the relevant departments, civilians, and even Germans within the Netherlands. In total, over 100 people were detained and interrogated. Even illegal (underground) methods were permitted and executed regarding their response to the Germans. As a result, it was determined that the perpetrator (responsible party) of the attack on the Japanese patrol ship Sakura was the captain of the Dutch destroyer, and that the senior officers of the ship were not involved.

Even though it was an old model, the destroyer had a standard displacement of over 1.500 tons, and despite having a crew of 150, the captain was able to move the ship on his own authority due to the presence of more than 30 boarding party members who boarded before departure. Presenting forged orders from the Dutch naval command and claiming that the captain was aware of the situation, this boarding party was, in fact, a complete fake—a ship seizure unit of Germans (Waffen-SS). They seized the key personnel, or threatened them with weapons, and took control of the destroyer.

Such an action was possible because pro-German factions had formed a clique within the Dutch naval command. *1 They acted out of a patriotic desire for their country's prosperity (through integration with Germany). Of course, this is generally considered treason. Alongside gathering information, the Dutch government carried out a purge of the pro-German factions that had infested the military and government. It was an excessive sense of crisis*2 that led to this rampage. Anyway, as soon as the blood-soaked information was compiled into a report, it was promptly transmitted to Japan. The report included a list of the large number of personnel who were punished (executed) as those responsible.

Japan accepted the Netherlands' actions. At least in the sense of identifying and punishing those responsible, it could be said there was no better way to handle the situation. Notably, upon hearing the report that Japan was satisfied, the Dutch official in charge of Japan, who had been extremely tense, fainted from relief. That was how tense the Netherlands was in dealing with Japan.

. . .

Germany

The invasion of the Netherlands (Fall Rot) was set in motion.

The force to be deployed consisted of the German Army Group Netherlands, which was based on one armored division (panzer division) and three infantry divisions. This included an independent armored regiment equipped with heavy tanks and airborne units. Initially, the plan was to integrate the Netherlands without significant combat by inciting a pro-German uprising within the country. However, the Netherlands took a hardline stance, leading to full-scale combat. The pro-German Dutch who were supposed to respond were all arrested, and almost the entire Dutch army had been deployed to the border, so it was inevitable. Germany had desired the Netherlands in an almost unscathed condition for the sake of post-war and financial benefits, but that became an unattainable dream.

However, retreat was not an option at this stage. In a dictatorship, the support of the people is contingent upon the dictator never being wrong. Once the Netherlands had been declared the enemy and the fist raised against them, that fist had to be brought down. Otherwise, the dictator would be the one pulled down from power. That was the nature of a dictatorship. As a result, the decision was made to launch a punitive war and attack the Netherlands head-on.

That being said, the German government was not concerned about this decision because they believed their chances of victory were extremely high. Not only the Netherlands, which could be defeated with a mere flick of the wrist, but also Poland, for which the preemptive strike plan (Fal Braun) had been prepared, could have its war ended within a month. Even against the formidable France, a well-devised war plan (Fall Gelb) had been prepared, and although they anticipated a tough battle, they saw a clear path to eventual victory.