A.D.1943 - 109 - Yugoslav Conflict - 6

In recent years, the country most troubled by international conflicts has been the Soviet Union. For G4 superpowers like the United States and France, it was merely a nuisance, and the consumption of national resources for their response was not a significant issue. Similarly, countries like China and Germany brought trouble upon themselves, and they were too preoccupied with dealing with immediate conflicts to have time to worry. Other nations, including members of the League of Nations, had the luxury of distance from conflicts and were primarily concerned with how to profit (either by receiving benefits from the superpowers or by other means). Their tranquility stemmed from not being directly involved. However, the Soviet Union couldn't afford such complacency.

Being economically tied to both China and Germany, as well as being eyed suspiciously by Japan (a leading member of the superpowers), put it in a precarious position. Unlike the two nations that withdrew from the League of Nations, the Soviet Union held the honorable position of being both a member and a non-permanent member (inferior to permanent members) of the League Council. In a sense, it was a complex position to be in.

One could argue that it acted as a mediator between the two major non-League powers, Germany and China, and the League of Nations. It was a position from which one could profit, but at the same time, it was precarious. Both Germany and China were pushing things too far. For minor conflicts, neutrality could be advantageous when it comes to conflicting interests. But things would have been different in the event of a full-scale war.

China, which was effectively at war with the United States, and Germany, deeply involved in China's conflicts and alienating Italy in Yugoslavia, were being viewed as threats by the League of Nations. Supporting Germany against the League of Nations was not necessarily in the Soviet Union's best interest, and opinions within the Soviet government began to reflect this. Although Stalin sympathized with Hitler, personal feelings alone couldn't dictate national decisions.

Furthermore, lacking compelling reasons to outright deny opinions within the Soviet government was significant. Stalin struggled with how to handle the impending war between Germany and the G4/League of Nations, centered around Yugoslavia, and ultimately drowned his sorrows in drink.

The next day, he had a hangover, and the problem was postponed.

. . .

Germany

The German and Italian navies were engaged in an increasingly radical battle in the Adriatic Sea. Both sides exercised minimal restraint, and there were no incidents of gunfire or shelling, but the deployment of forces continued to expand. As Italian torpedo boats toyed with German destroyers, Germany responded by increasing the number of destroyers. At this point, the training level of the German destroyer fleet did not pose a significant threat to the sailors (surface vessel personnel) of the Italian Navy, which boasted the world's fourth-largest naval power, but Italy chose to engage in this escalation.

First, they deployed a light cruiser squadron centered around the flagship cruiser Giuseppe Garibaldi.

It was an overkill. The Giuseppe Garibaldi was arguably Italy's most advanced light cruiser, with a hull size comparable to that of a heavy cruiser at 9.000 tons, making it difficult for Germany to counter with its 2.000-ton Z5-class destroyers.

As a result, German destroyers were either chasing smugglers or being pursued by Italian light cruisers. At times, they were even chased into Yugoslav territorial waters, prompting the hasty deployment of the aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin.

With its massive size of 30.000 tons and 15 cm guns, the Graf Zeppelin was more akin to a super-sized light cruiser (a rear guard for combat units) in the Adriatic Sea than an aircraft carrier (the most important escort target). This was a concern for the Kriegsmarine, which considered the aircraft carrier as one of its three pillars alongside battleships and armored ships. The Graf Zeppelin, as the first aircraft carrier of the Kriegsmarine, was crucial for imparting aircraft carrier operational expertise, and the risk of damage to it could not be ignored.