A.D.1926 - 006 - The Beginning of Reiwa

Through negotiations with the United States, the United Kingdom, and France, Japan succeeded in importing food and resources, and was able to breathe a sigh of relief for the time being. The confusion and anxiety caused by the time displacement were settled with the procurement of oil resources and food. Domestic demand, the goods needed to run the country, was not sufficient at the current stage. Also, even though it was now possible to import goods, the fleet of ships that could carry them had been cut in half by the time displacement. In particular, the loss of many Japanese sailors, who were more precious than jewels, was very painful. But even so, Japan had succeeded in staying ahead of the breaking point of the nation.

It also made it possible for Japan to enter the international area. Emperor Akihito decided to abdicate the throne, which had been delayed for a long time. *1 The Japanese government approved, and in 1926, the succession of the throne to Crown Prince Hiro-no-miya and the change of the era were announced. Coincidentally, 1926 was the year of Emperor Showa's ascension to the throne and the change of the era.

. . .

Establishment of the Japanese Federation

The coronation ceremony was held to celebrate the coronation of the new emperor. At this time, invitations were sent to all the powerful nations, as well as to the independent nations that had joined the League of Nations and those that had not. *2 At the same time, it was decided to hold an international naval review to commemorate the coronation. *3

In conjunction with the coronation ceremony, the establishment of the Japanese Federation was also announced, with the participation of five countries: the Republic of North Japan (Karafuto), the Republic of Korea, the Republic of Taiwan, the Republic of the South Seas, and the Republic of the Kuril Islands. *4 It was of course a formality, and it would take some time before it could take on the appearance of a nation, but it was done in order to coincide with the celebrations. In addition, foreign countries often referred to Japan as the Japanese Empire, as it was still a nation with an emperor.

In particular, there was a reason why people from North Japan and the Republic of Korea called themselves "imperial subjects" when they went abroad. The constitution is the Constitution of Japan, and the laws are the same as those of Japan. On top of that, laws were to be enforced in accordance with the laws of each country. Diplomacy was to be conducted as a Japanese federal state, but Japan was to be the representative, and each country was prohibited from conducting diplomatic activities on its own.

National defense is provided by Japan's Self-Defense Forces. A federal military was established with the main purpose of maintaining security and protecting the borders of each country, and a joint military was established to unite these forces. *5

. . .

Economic Policy, Policy to Increase Domestic Demand

One of the most pressing issues was the importation of resources to drive domestic demand. Items such as steel, food, oil, and natural rubber imported from the US, Britain, and France were not enough to meet Japan's domestic demand. For the time being, Japan had to cope with the situation by keeping inventories, but there were many commodities, notably lumber, that needed to be imported as soon as possible.

To deal with this problem, the Strategic Resource Agency was established under the Cabinet Office. In addition to personnel from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), this agency specializes in resource development and import, bringing together personnel from major trading companies, geologists, and other experts. The research department was so well equipped that it even had an escort from the JSDF. *6