Chapter 8-Bright

______________________________
"And I'll rise up,"
"I'll rise like the day,"
"I'll rise up,"
"I'lI rise unafraid,"
"I'll rise up,"
"And I'I do it a thousand times again..."
______________________________

Julie's POV

Julie fussed with a pink flower on her fluffy, dark teal dress.

Eventually Flynn swatted her hand away so she wouldn't tear up the petals, so Julie went to twirling a piece of her ponytail. For the past hour she'd been going back and forth on her decision to play, and the show was now getting close to ending. The mere thought made her nauseous.

Willie was usually the buffer of their anxiousness but he had been working overtime for Caleb lately, doing lord knows what in that underground club. Even having the guys with her might've helped, but so far they were nowhere to be found.

The great hall was decked out in all things gold, blue, and burgundy, which were the colors for the Royal Music Program. Even the foods and drinks on the entree table were of the same fashion. The stage was decorated even more elaborately, balloons and streamers floating in the air, instruments of all kinds strewn across the floor for those who played. The chance for program auditions had long passed, and now currently enrolled students were getting to show off. From what Julie understood l, Dirty Candy was going to be the grand finale. Why, she couldn't fathom.

Julie was snapped out of her detachment when she noticed a certain blond prince making his way up on the stage. Flynn immediately caught the dreamy smile that crossed her lips.

"Nick? Still?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Um, of course." Julie retorted, captured as he began to sing and shred on his electric guitar. "Look at him."

Ugh, Nick and his face and his hair and his face and his eyes and his princeliness and his face. God she'd been crushing on that boy for years. He was the biggest sweetheart she knew and a great musician.

But in Julie's luck, his only character flaw was his girlfriend. Carrie. Who, as Julie noticed, was strutting up to them.

Speak of the devil, she thought, preparing for the agitation that would surely ensue this conversation.

"Hey girls," Carrie's wave was more of a callous flick of her wrist, "oh Julie, you look better than usual. And watching my Nick I see?"

"That's usually what you're supposed to do when someone's singing." Flynn said.

"Um, I didn't ask you to speak maid."

Julie had to actually hold her friend back. "Don't act like you don't know me bi-"

"Flynn, don't." Julie cut her a warning look. The last thing she needed was more drama, no matter how much Carrie deserved it.

"You should teach your servants what respect is, Julie." Carrie looked her up and down distastefully.

"Respect is earned, Carrie." She crossed her arms so she wouldn't punch the girl's lights out.

"Yeah, that's what most people have to tell themselves." She laid a dainty hand on her chest, eyes sparkling when she caught sight of Nick.

"Bye girls." She left them to talk to her boyfriend, thank god. Bitch.

"Demon!" Flynn called from a safe distance, Carrie whipping around with a glare worthy of satan himself.

Julie watched her hang all over Nick, surely praising him for how well he played. He had done well but Carrie seemed to be doing it more for the attention than anything, especially when she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.