Chapter 12-Sparring Necessitates Safe Words

_________________________________
"I really do wanna' be crashing into your shore,"
"Wrapping all around you,"
"Sinking to the ground floor, ocean deep..."
_________________________________

Julie's POV

Julie stood off to the side in the shadow of the weapons wall as Sir Sterling demonstrated a particularly intricate parrying and blocking technique to Luke, Alex, and Reggie. She couldn't help but admire their progress from over the past few weeks as they each held their own against the instructor. They were advancing quickly, faster than most, and had already begun to work with some of the more experienced guards.

She'd joined them in training a few times, though certainly never sparring with them, so when Sir Sterling informed her of his plan to get them fighting and working together more often she was at least a little surprised; though pleasantly so. He'd confided in Julie that he predicted they'd be working as a team much more than they anticipated. Since the boys already had a heavy foundation of trust with one another and were used to fighting together, they needed to build such with Julie.

She shielded her eyes from the sun, watching as they wrapped up their individual lessons. Luke slipped under Sterling's arm, arcing up behind him with a swing of his sword. His technique was good, and he was fast, but not fast enough for the seasoned fighter. Sir Sterling disarmed him with a nearly imperceptible flick of his wrist. Luke's sword fell to the sand with a soft thunk and Luke was held at defeat by the point of his opponents'.

"Better. Much better, all of you." Sir Sterling's approving gaze swept over the boys.

They stood at attention, soaking up any praise or critiques the instructor had to offer, no longer the moping, unwilling bunch they'd originally been. She could tell they were slowly growing to the lifestyle, both mentally and physically. Definitely physically. Good diets and training had caused all of the boys to lean up as well as put on muscle, so they were significantly more cut than a month before. The tight training shirts, all sleeveless, laid light to their definition. While Alex and Reggie were lithe, wiry, and pretty to look at, she could hardly look at Luke. She may not have been able to look away.

She slipped up on occasion, or, admittedly more than on occasion, like when he walked past her just then to rack his weapon back on the wall.

Arms of thick, corded muscle reached past her head, every possible sinew outlined, ever-changing as they flexed. Through his shirt she could also see the little divots in his abdomen and back, muscles that rippled with each little movement. He was spare and aesthetic, as well as way too appealing. It was fascinating, the shifting of his arms, his shoulders, and all else. His physique combined with the beautiful boyishness of his face, the quickness of the smile he flashed her, was absolutely enthralling for her to watch.

It was also dangerous for her to analyze. Dangerous for her to think of. That's why she tried not to.

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are specifically trained to work together." Sterling was saying. Julie joined them in the center of the ring. "Before you learn to truly work together, however, you must learn each other's strengths and weaknesses. You gentlemen have been training with and against each other for weeks, but you haven't fought the Princess yet." He scanned their faces. "Because I want all of you to be a team, you will be doing so today."

The boys' eyes went wide, snapping to Julie. An evil grin split her face.

"Uh uh, we've been down this road before and she almost killed us." Reggie claimed imperatively.

A sliver of a smile ghosted Sterling's lips. "You're stronger now son. You know a bit more, and you know how to work together." When the boys visibly relaxed, he added, "I am by no means saying you will win, but let's see what you can do."